Q: My iPhone is not ringing and the phone is not muted or water damage! What can I do?
"My phone is not ringing and everything is on and I have checked the settings! I have noticed that when I slide the side button the bell is not showing up! Have I deactivated something?" -- From Apple Forum
If your iPhone won't ring, it could be really annoying and you may miss some phone calls or messages because you have not heard the sound from your iOS device. If you have the similar problem, you can try to fix iPhone not ringing issue with the several methods provided in this article.
If your iPhone does not ring, the first method you can try to fix it is to disable Do Not Disturb option. Sometimes you may accidentally turn on the Do Not Disturb mode without realizing it, which will silence all sound on your iPhone, such as notifications, phone calls, alerts, messages and etc.
If you turn on the DND mode, you still can receive phone calls and messages, but your iPhone will not ring and you will not hear the sound but see the missed calls after that.
To check or switch off the Do Not Disturb mode, there are 2 ways to go. You can follow the steps as below:
Way 1: Disable DND Mode on Home Screen
1. Unlock your iPhone and swipe down with your finger on iPhone screen to bring out the Command Center.
2. Uncheck the Moon icon to turn DND mode off.
Way 2: Turn Off DND Mode on iPhone Settings
1. Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb. If the DND mode is on, just turn it off.
If you have checked and disabled Do Not Disturb mode but your iPhone still won't ring, you might check if your iPhone has been muted or not.
To do so, you can refer to the steps as below:
1. Unlock your iPhone and press the Volume Up button besides the iPhone screen. If it works, the ringer icon will appear on iPhone screen.
2. You can also go to Settings > Sound & Haptics. Then find out Ringer and Alerts option to turn up the volume of your iPhone.
If you have enabled the call forwarding feature on your iPhone, your iPhone won't ring, and even you will not receive phone calls from others whose phone number has been blocked by yourself. So you can check your iPhone settings to get rid of iPhone not ringing problem.
Here are what you should to do turn off call forwarding feature:
1. On iPhone Home screen, go to Settings > Phone.
2. Find and tap Call Forwarding. If this feature is on, just switch it off.
3. Then go back to Phone page and tap Blocked. Here you are able to check all the blocked phone numbers.
4. If you have blacked someone from incoming calls and now you want to hear from them, just tap Edit option (the red minus icon) and then Unblock.
Generally speaking, rebooting an iPhone can resolve iPhone not ringing problem. Follow the steps to do so:
1. Press and hold the Power button (or Sleep/Wake button) to bring out a "slide to power off" slider on iPhone screen.
2. Drag the slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
3. When iPhone goes completely black, you might press and hold the Power button (or Sleep/Wake button) again to turn it on. After that, you can check if your iPhone not ringing problem is fixed or not.
Generally speaking, upgrading iPhone to the latest iOS can fix many kinds of software errors or iPhone errors, including iPhone not ringing problem. Sometimes it is a sign from Apple to remind you to update software.
To do so, you can:
1. Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone.
2. If there is an available update for your iPhone, you will see a notification next to the Software Update. If there is one, just tap it to download and install it on your iPhone now.
3. When the installation process is complete, your iPhone will be restarted automatically and get back to normal.
See Also: iPhone Won't Update? Here's How to Fix!
After trying all above methods, if your iPhone still can not ring, you might start to factory reset your iPhone to get it back to the system default state, which will fix your iPhone not ringing problem. However, please note that restoring your iPhone to factory setting will erase all data and settings on your iPhone. So please make a backup of your iPhone in case of further need.
Here is how to factory reset an iPhone:
1. Go to Settings > General > Reset on your iPhone.
2. On Reset page, find and tap Erase All Content and Settings option to move on.
3. Then you will get a pop-up window to confirm your action. Just tap Erase iPhone option to start to factory reset your iPhone.
4. After that, all of your iPhone data will be erased and your iPhone will be rebooted automatically. Thus your iPhone will ring when the whole process is finished.
Note: During the process, if you accidentally lose some important data and have not backed up, don't worry, you can use the professional iOS Data Recovery - Coolmuster iOS Rescuer to recover the lost or deleted data from iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.