Used by millions of users worldwide for daily communication, WhatsApp must have created countless important messages, photos, videos, or stickers on your phone. When you accidentally lose WhatsApp chats from your Android or iPhone, you can first restore them from Google Drive or iCloud if you have made a backup. However, if you forget to back up the WhatsApp history, can you recover old WhatsApp conversations? And how to recover 1-year-old WhatsApp messages without backup?
We will share five effective ways to perform WhatsApp old data recovery on Android and iPhone.
At first, let's check how to recover old WhatsApp messages on Android devices with or without backup in three optional ways.
The best way to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android devices without backup is using Android WhatsApp Recovery. Excelled in recovering files under many common scenarios, like accidental deletion, it will quickly get back your precious WhatsApp messages on Windows PC or Mac.
The key features of Android WhatsApp Recovery:
* Recover deleted WhatsApp messages and attachments from Android phone/tablet and SD card selectively.
* Support various common scenarios that cause data loss: Accidental deletion, misoperation, virus attack, system crash, SD card issue, rooting error, system error, forget the password, device failure, etc.
* Back up the existing WhatsApp data and other files to the computer.
* Widely compatible with almost all Android devices (Android 11 and lower versions), such as Samsung Galaxy S23/S23+/S23 Ultra, Sony Xperia 1 V/ Xperia 10 V/Xperia 1 IV/Xperia 5 IV/Xperia 10 IV, HTC Desire 22 Pro/Desire 21 Pro/20+/20 Pro/U12+, Motorola, LG, Google, etc.
How can I recover my 1-year-old WhatsApp without backup on Android?
1. Install and open the software on your computer and connect your Android device to the computer using a USB cable. Then enable USB debugging on your phone to make it recognizable by the program.
2. Once detected, choose WhatsApp and WhatsApp Attachments on the interface and hit Next to start scanning files.
3. After scanning, click WhatsApp on the left panel, preview and check the items you want to recover, and hit the Recover button below to recover the deleted WhatsApp messages to your computer.
You may like:
WhatsApp automatically backs up chats to the Android phone's local storage at 2 a.m. every day. Thus, you can restore the latest WhatsApp backup from the WhatsApp folder in internal storage or external SD card.
To restore the deleted WhatsApp messages from local backup on Android:
1. Open the file manager app on your Android device and click Internal Storage or SD card, based on where WhatsApp stores auto-backups.
2. Click WhatsApp > Databases and rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore--YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12.
3. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your Android device and verify the same phone number.
4. Hit Restore when it prompts you to restore chats and media files.
Note: This way only works for restoring deleted WhatsApp in the last seven days. Select the first way above if you need to recover WhatsApp messages older than seven days.
Maybe you like: Where is the Secure Folder on your Samsung phone? And how can you recover your photos from it? All the answers are here.
Suppose you have backed up your WhatsApp messages to Google Drive before they are deleted. In that case, you can restore the old WhatsApp messages from Google Drive to your Android device with ease.
How to retrieve very old WhatsApp messages from Google Drive backup?
1. Ensure that your Android device is linked with the same Google account you used to back up WhatsApp.
2. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your Android device. Then run WhatsApp and verify with the same phone number.
3. Tap Restore when asked, and hit Next once the chats restoration is complete. After that, WhatsApp will continue restoring the media files.
If you want to recover deleted WhatsApp videos, you can click this link to get useful recovery solutions.
These software can perfectly replace the antediluvian Moborobo program. If you are interested in them, check it out.
This part will explain how to restore deleted WhatsApp messages without or with backup on iPhone. Let's take a look together.
How can I get my old WhatsApp messages back without backup on my iPhone? If you are an iOS user, you cannot miss iPhone WhatsApp Recovery. With this program, you can safely recover over 19 different kinds of data from your iPhone/iPad/iPod to a computer, including WhatsApp chats. Besides, it also restores lost data from iTunes or iCloud backup if there are any.
The highlights of iPhone WhatsApp Recovery:
* Directly recover the deleted WhatsApp data and other files from your iOS devices.
* Restore lost data from iTunes or iCloud backup.
* Preview all WhatsApp conversations and select the wanted messages to recover or restore.
* Apply to the following unexpected scenarios: Accidental deletion, water damage, broken screen, no backups, system crash, upgrade/jailbreak failure, lost/stolen/locked iPhone, get stuck in Apple logo/DFU/recovery mode, etc.
* Highest speed and success rate.
* Work with all iPhone models (iOS 15 supported), like iPhone 14 Pro Max/14 Pro/14/13 Pro Max/13 Pro/13/13 mini/12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/SE/11 Pro Max/11 Pro/11/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6/5S/5C/5/4S/4, etc.
How can I recover deleted WhatsApp messages without backup on iPhone?
1. Install and run iPhone WhatsApp Recovery on your computer and choose Recover from iOS Device on the left panel. Next, plug your iPhone into the computer via a USB cable.
2. When detected, tap Start Scan to scan the deleted files on your iPhone.
3. After scanning, it will display all scanned-out data on the interface. Click WhatsApp on the left window, preview the chats, and tick off the messages you want to recover. Later, tap the Recover button below to recover them to your computer.
Suppose you have backed up WhatsApp messages to iCloud on your iPhone previously. In that case, you can restore deleted WhatsApp data from iCloud backup anytime you want.
How to restore deleted WhatsApp messages of one contact from iCloud backup?
1. Open WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to check if there is the most relevant iCloud backup file. If yes, continue the next steps.
2. Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your iPhone. Once done, launch the app and verify your phone number.
3. Tap the Restore Chat History option to start getting back your WhatsApp data.
You can restore the recently deleted WhatsApp messages from Google Drive, local backup, or iCloud backup, and it's easy to operate. However, assume you wonder how to recover 1-year-old WhatsApp messages without backup. You'd better select Android WhatsApp Recovery or iPhone WhatsApp Recovery. Both are powerful software supporting various data loss scenarios and allowing you to recover files selectively.