"I have WhatsApp set up on my iPhone with iCloud backup. I don't want my WhatsApp media polluting my Photos Stream, so I've disabled Save to Camera Roll, as I didn't see a way to keep WhatsApp images/videos separate from my photos. How can I access this backup file and see the contents? I don't want to restore to a new phone; I want to view the content. How can I get access to my data?"
How to access WhatsApp backup? Many people may have trouble finding it while they can quickly back up WhatsApp chats to iCloud or Google Drive. If you hope to read and check the WhatsApp messages, photos, videos, or other attachments from Google Drive or iCloud backup on your iPhone or PC, you will find at least one facile method in this post to solve it.
Part 1. How to Access WhatsApp Backup on PC Directly via WhatsApp Backup and Restore
Part 2. How to Find WhatsApp Messages in Google Drive
Part 3. How Do I Access WhatsApp on My iCloud
Part 4. How to Check WhatsApp Backup on iPhone
Although WhatsApp allows you to back up the chats for free, it's a bit hard to check WhatsApp backup directly. Nevertheless, you won't worry about how to access WhatsApp backup with WhatsApp Backup and Restore. As one of the most popular WhatsApp backup extractors, this program lets you back up, view, and restore WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business on a computer. Moreover, it also backs up LINE/Viber/Kik/WeChat chat history and transfers WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business chats between iOS and Android devices.
Key features of WhatsApp Backup and Restore:
* Back up and restore WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business chats on a computer directly.
* View WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business backup on the computer in Chat groups.
* Back up WeChat/LINE/Viber/Kik chat history.
* Transfer WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business chats between iOS and Android devices.
* Easy to operate, secure to use, and user-friendly interface.
* Work with Android 2 to Android 11 and iOS 14 and former versions, such as Samsung Galaxy S23/S22/S21/S21+/S21 Ultra/S20/S20+/S20 Ultra, Sony Xperia 10 Plus/10/10 Ultra/Xperia Pro, Huawei P40/P40 Pro/P40 Pro+/Mate 40, iPhone 12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/11 Pro Max, etc.
How to access WhatsApp backup on a computer?
1. Install the program on your computer.
Install and launch WhatsApp Backup and Restore on your computer, then choose WhatsApp Transfer from the toolkit. After that, tap Backup WhatsApp messages and connect your device to the computer.
2. Back up WhatsApp messages to the computer.
Once connected, it will start to back up the WhatsApp messages to the computer automatically.
3. Check WhatsApp backup.
When the backup process is over, you will see the interface below.
If there are multiple backup files, you can choose the one you want to view and tap the View button to access WhatsApp backup directly.
How to Back Up WhatsApp Photos/Videos? (Proven Tips for iPhone & Android)
How to Restore WhatsApp History from iCloud to Android?
Can I view my WhatsApp backup on Google Drive? How to access WhatsApp backup on Gmail? Those are the questions from many Android users. To check Google Drive WhatsApp backup successfully, the first thing you need to know is where to find WhatsApp backup on Google Drive, or in other words, where WhatsApp backup is on Google Drive.
Where in Google Drive is WhatsApp backup?
As the WhatsApp backup with Google Drive is hidden, it takes some time to find the WhatsApp backup in Google Drive by yourself. However, you can follow the simple tips to locate it:
1. Open drive.google.com on your device and sign in with the same Google account you use for backup.
2. Click the gear icon at the top-right corner, choose Settings, and tap Managing Apps.
3. Find WhatsApp Messenger from a list of apps associated with Google Drive, and all the WhatsApp chat history and media backups will be there.
Then, how do I view my WhatsApp backup on Google Drive?
You can follow the above steps to navigate to WhatsApp Messenger under Managing Apps. Next, tap the Options button, and you will be able to delete or manage the backups.
Note that you won't be able to read the backup content or restore them to other apps from there due to the end-to-end data encryption protection. If you want to read the WhatsApp backup messages, you must restore them from Google Drive to your device.
So, how do I see WhatsApp backup on Google Drive with chat details?
1. Make sure you have added the same Google account to your device before you move on.
2. Uninstall WhatsApp from your device and reinstall it.
3. Open WhatsApp on your device. After verifying your phone number, it will ask you whether to restore the chats and media attachments from Google Drive. Choose Restore and wait until the process is complete.
4. Hit the Next option, and you will read the WhatsApp messages and attachments on the screen.
See more: What happens when you delete your iCloud backup? Will you lose all data? Let's click this guide.
iPhone users can back up WhatsApp to iCloud. Similarly, where is the iCloud WhatsApp backup saved? Do you know it? Well, the WhatsApp backups are in a hidden folder in iCloud Drive. If you have enabled iCloud Drive and log into iCloud on your Mac, you will find the WhatsApp chat backups via the path below.
Where does WhatsApp backup in iCloud?
Open Applications on your Mac > Utilities > Terminal > enter the commands: cd~/Library/Mobile/Documents/Find *whatsapp* and press the Enter key.
Note: If you see nothing, please ensure that you have turned on the iCloud Drive option. If you can only see the *.icloud file, please switch off the option Optimize Mac Storage under iCloud System Preferences.
To retrieve the documents, videos, and pictures, you can type in the commands: cp *whatsapp*/Accounts/*/backup/*.tar~/Desktop > double-click the .tar files to access the contents.
Note: Under the same iCloud account, if you have several WhatsApp accounts backups, you can replace the */Accounts/*/backup/ with your phone number to check the backups under each phone number.
Next, how to access WhatsApp backup on iCloud?
1. On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > check iCloud Drive and wait for the syncing process to be complete.
2. Return to System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options > WhatsApp Messenger > toggle off Optimize Mac Storage > turn on Desktop & Documents Folders > Done.
3. When iCloud Drive finishes syncing the content, you will see the WhatsApp backup file on your Mac.
This way is similar to what you do on an Android phone. At first, you need to restore the WhatsApp backups to your iPhone and then read the contents.
Let's see how to do it.
1. Download a file manager app on your iPhone.
2. Navigate to internal storage (or main storage)/WhatsApp/Databases in the file manager app and rename the backup file.
3. Uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it from the App Store.
4. Launch it on your iPhone and tap Restore when it asks you.
5. After loading, you can read the WhatsApp backups on your device.
According to where you back up WhatsApp chats and attachments, you will get different solutions to how to access WhatsApp backup. If you want to avoid any complicated operations, I highly recommend you try WhatsApp Backup and Restore. It is the easiest method to view the WhatsApp backups on your computer without a restoration. Also, it is the safest and most straightforward way to back up and restore WhatsApp and other social app chats. You can carefully consider it.
If you run into difficulties when accessing the WhatsApp backup, please tell us in the comment area. We will reach out to you as soon as possible.
6 Easy Ways on How to Back up WhatsApp Messages from Android to PC
Effective Ways on How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung
[3 Solutions] How to Transfer All Whatsapp Chats from Android to Android?
How to Back Up WhatsApp Chats on iPhone without iCloud
How to Add WhatsApp Widget to Your Lock Screen?
[Full Guide] How to Save WhatsApp Photos on Android Devices in 2023?