"I've just got an iPhone 12 Pro Max and was wondering how do I restore my WhatsApp messages that were on my previous Android phone and backed up to Google Drive? Thanks."
- Schrodinger56 posted in Apple Support Communities
It's easy to restore WhatsApp backup from iCloud to iPhone. However, do you know how to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iPhone? With many Android users switching to Apple devices these days, it's not weird to transfer Google Drive WhatsApp backup to iPhone.
This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iPhone quickly. If you don't know what to do, follow our guide.
Part 1. Can I Restore WhatsApp Messages from Google Drive to iPhone?
Part 2. How to Download Google Drive WhatsApp Backup on iPhone via Email
Part 3. How to Restore WhatsApp Chat from Google Drive in iPhone with WhatsApp Transfer
Part 4. How to Get Google Drive WhatsApp Backup on iPhone Using WhatsAppTrans Box
Bonus Tips You May Like
Yes. Before you know how to extract WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iPhone, let's check where WhatsApp messages are stored.
Actually, WhatsApp chat history is not saved on its server, but iCloud or iTunes on iPhone and Google Drive on Android devices. Besides, you can also find WhatsApp messages in the local backup on Android devices without readability due to the protection mechanism.
As Google Drive's encryption protocols are not compatible with iPhone's operating system and encoding protocols, there is no direct way to restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone. Nevertheless, you can use email or a third-party tool to transfer WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iPhone. Let's continue with the following content.
WhatsApp offers you an easy option to export chats across platforms and view them in text. format via a file reader on your device. But you can only export the latest 40,000 messages (or 10,000 messages with attached media files) of one chat at one time, and quite strangely, it isn't available for German users.
How to import WhatsApp chat from Google Drive to iPhone via email?
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone and select one conversation that you want to export.
2. Tap the three dots at the upper-right corner > More > Export chat > select Gmail > sign in to your Gmail account credentials. Next, fill in the To field with another email account and click the Send icon.
3. On your iPhone, log in with the same Gmail credentials, find this email, and download the attachment to your iPhone. Then, you can read the previous chat history as a text file anytime you want.
You might need: When discovering the location info of your Snapchat is incorrect, you can fix it with these tricks.
Another way to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone using Google Drive is via WhatsApp Transfer. As the direct restoration of Google Drive WhatsApp backup to iPhone is impossible, you will need to download the WhatsApp chats to your Android device first and then transfer them to your iPhone in one click.
The key features of WhatsApp Transfer:
* Transfer WhatsApp/WhatsApp Business chats between iOS and Android devices.
* Back up WhatsApp/WhatsApp Business conversations to a computer as a PDF or HTML file and restore the backup to your device.
* Back up iPhone LINE/Viber/Kik/WeChat chat history to a computer.
* Work with Android 2 to Android 11 and iOS 15 and earlier versions, such as iPhone 13 Pro Max/13 Pro/13/13 mini, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra/S22+/S22, Xiaomi 11T Pro/11T/Mi 11 Ultra/Mi 11, Huawei, Sony, Google, LG, etc.
How to retrieve WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive to iPhone?
1. Download WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to Android. Install WhatsApp on your Android phone and sign in with the same Google credentials you use to back up WhatsApp files.
Later, open the app and tap Restore when a window displays and asks you to restore backups. You can decide whether to restore with or without media files. Once done, it will store WhatsApp backup files on your Android device.
2. Connect your Android and iPhone to the computer. Install and launch the program on your computer. After that, choose the WhatsApp Transfer option > Transfer WhatsApp messages under the WhatsApp tab, and connect your Android and iPhone to the computer.
Once detected, you will see the window as follows. (Note: You can tap the Flip button to switch the device position if necessary.)
3. Tap the Transfer button at the lower-right corner. Since the transfer process will erase the existing WhatsApp messages on the target iPhone, you must click Continue to confirm the operation. Otherwise, back up your WhatsApp files to PC first.
Afterward, the transfer process will start. Just keep your devices connected and wait until the transfer process is complete.
You may like:
WhatsAppTrans Box is a free tool to restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone, including the large files. But it only supports chat history within three months, and the transfer process is a bit complicated. Apart from WhatsApp, it also transfers other files between iPhone and Android.
How to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive in iPhone for free?
1. Download WhatsAppTrans Box toolkit and run the adb.exe file
2. Extract the WhatsApp backup on your Android device.
3. Download and execute the whatsappandroid2iphone.exe.
4. Restore WhatsApp from Android to iPhone. Install WhatsApp on your iPhone and connect your iPhone to the computer. Later, use the command restorewhatsappdata to restore all chat history to your iPhone.
Still have some queries? Now check the following frequently asked questions to find out the answers.
1. How to Back Up and Restore WhatsApp via Google Drive?
Back up WhatsApp to Google Drive:
Restore WhatsApp from Google Drive:
Check here to learn more about how to back up WhatsApp photos/videos on iPhone and Android.
2. How to Restore WhatsApp from iCloud to iPhone?
You may like: How to Restore WhatsApp History from iCloud to Android?
3. How to Access WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive?
You can access WhatsApp backup on Google Drive by tapping Android's Settings > Managing Apps > WhatsApp Messenger. However, you cannot view the specific content since it has been encrypted for potential data leakage.
If you wish to check the WhatsApp backup in Google Drive, this article may be helpful.
Now you may have fathomed out how to restore WhatsApp backup from Google Drive to iPhone step by step. You can choose the most reliable way WhatsApp Transfer to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone using Google Drive in one click. Besides, you can also pick the email's way if you only transfer one conversation without using a computer.
Well, WhatsAppTrans Box is the least recommended way. As you can see, it is complicated and enigmatic to use. What's worse, it may bring unknown risks to your Android or iPhone.