Having your iPhone lost or stolen could be very stressful, not only because this is a huge loss of property but also a concern on the privacy of mobile phone. Therefore, it is very important to take appropriate measures to avoid possible damage or loss of iOS device. So this article here is going to offer you some tips about preemptive measures before losing an iDevice and remedial measures after losing an iOS device. Please don't it.
Part 1. Preemptive Measures before iPhone Gets Lost or Stolen
Part 2. What Should I Do if I Lost My iPhone or iPad
1. Enable Find My iPhone on Your iDevice
It is strongly advised to turn on "Find My iPhone" feature on your iPhone, iPad or iPod upon purchase. "Find My iPhone" is a feature designed by Apple in order to track and find your missing Apple device. When you enable Find My iPhone, iCloud can help you get your missing iDevice back.
And if your device is lost or stolen, Activation Lock can keep your phone information safe, making it hard for anyone to use or sell it. When you turn on Find My iPhone, your Apple ID and password will be required before anyone can turn off Find My iPhone, erase your device, or reactivate it.
To turn on Find My iPhone feature on your iPhone, iPad or iPod, please go to "Settings" > "iCloud" > "Find My iPhone" and enable it here. When you want to turn off Find My iPhone, the Apple ID and passscode is needed.
2. Enable Auto-lock.
Please turn on the auto-lock feature on your device, making it automatically get locked after 3 or so minutes without operation. Simply go to "Settings" > "General" > "Auto-Lock" on your device.
3. Turn On Passcode Lock.
Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Passcode Lock" to enable passcode, and enter the passcode twice for setting.
4. Make A Backup for Your Device.
In case of losing data, please regularly create a backup for your iPhone or iPad so that you can restore data with iTunes or iCloud backup if you need after losing them.
5. Note Down Your iPhone's IMEI Number.
Please take down the IMEI number of your device, which can help you contact your cellular carrier and inform that your device has been stolen and they can blacklist the device to prevent the phone from access mobile network.
You can find out the IMEI number directly on your device via "Settings" > "General" > "About".
Can't Miss: How to Unlock Password Protected iPhone without Losing Data
When you just lost your iPhone or iPad for a while, you can:
1. Call your device with your friend's phone. Try to call your phone in first time to make your device discovered by you.
2. Use Find My iPhone to Play Sound. You can download and install Find My iPhone app for free from Apple iTunes Store, and use the "Play Sound" function to help you pinpoint the missing device's location if you believe your device is nearby.
3. Use Find My iPhone to turn on Lost Mode. If you are sure your device has been stolen, you can use Find My iPhone to enable Lost Mode on your missing device to lock it immediately and start to tract its location. Find My iPhone will show you where it has been over the last 24 hours. And you can also display a message with a contact number on your missing device's lock screen, so whoever finds it can call you without accessing your iPhone information.
When you believe your device is not likely to be discovered soon or at all, you can take more drastic measures:
1. Remotely erase your device data. You can use Find My iPhone to remotely erase or wipe out your device to protect your private information. Find My iPhone's remote erasing function can help you to restore your missing device to factory settings on another device running Find My iPhone app. This will erase all your content and settings and please be note that an erased iPhone cannot be located or tracked any more.
2. Call your service provider and report that your phone has been lost or stolen.
3. File a police report if you are going to fill an insurance claim.
4. Change the password of all your email, social accounts linked to the lost or stolen phone.