It makes you crazy that when you need to email a PDF to other people, every time you click "Send", there is always an error message or an email bounceback announcing that your delivery is failing since the file size is too large. Well, the size of a PDF file can be increased if extra font style and image added to the file. To make the PDF size smaller and email or upload to website much easier, you can rely on some image editing programs to compress PDF file.
Mac users are lucky that they can compress the size of PDF file with Mac built-in Preview application in simple 3 steps, without downloading extra software.
1. Double click the PDF you want to compress and it will be opened with the Preview application automatically. If not, you need to drag and drop PDF on the Preview to launch the PDF in Preview.
2. Go to the top of your screen and choose "File" > "Save As". Select "Reduce File Size" from the Quartz Filter drop-down list and then provide a new file name, as well as the location for the compressed PDF file.
3. After that, you can click the "Save" button to save the compressed PDF.
Go to the output location to check the exported PDF and you will see the new PDF is quite smaller than the original one. Sometimes, the PDF could be reduced to 50%.
Above is all about how to compress PDF file size on Mac with Preview. To reduce PDF size quickly and easily on Windows PC, you can use Adobe Acrobat’s size reduction feature.
1. Open your PDF document you want to reduce size in Adobe Acrobat, select "Choose Document" in the main menu and then click "Reduce File Size" in the drop-down menu.
2. Choose the version of Adobe Reader from the compatibility options to confirm which Adobe Reader version will view the PDF file.
- If you want to email the compressed PDF, you had better select compatibility for all versions of Adobe Reader.
- If you intend to upload the reduced PDF to a website, we suggest you choose the most recent version of Adobe Reader.
3. Give a name and an output location for the compressed PDF document and then click the button of "OK" to begin the compressing process.
Turn to the output folder to see the exported PDF. The size of the compressed PDF document can be 90 percent reduction in size. However, you should be aware that compressing PDF file size will also reduce the resolution of graphics and images included in the PDF.