2 Safe Ways to Move WhatsApp Data to SD Card
WhatsApp is the first messaging application of choice for many smartphone users because of its useful features. But one problem that plagues WhatsApp users is that most media files you sent and received via WhatsApp are kept in internal storage. Over time, you will receive many messages, videos, audio and even documents that are automatically stored in the phone's internal memory. Considering that we mainly receive images and videos, these can take up a lot of space. It's not a good idea to delete these valuable files. Therefore, we do need a way to move Whatsapp data to an SD card.
Fortunately, there are many ways to do this. Any user, regardless of technical background, can complete the process of moving Whatsapp data to an SD card in a matter of minutes. In this short tutorial, we will show you how to move the media files you receive on WhatsApp to an external SD card. Please note that this method can only move media files such as music, videos, images, etc. on the SD card, and cannot move the WhatsApp application itself.
The first way to move WhatsApp data to an SD card is to use a third-party application such as the ES File Explorer. Download and install this app on your Android phone, not only allows you to transfer WhatsApp media files to the SD card, thus freeing the phone's internal memory. And the ES File Explorer can also help you easily manage files on your phone.
Step 1. Go to Google Play Store to find and download ES File Explorer on your Android phone.
Step 2. Launch ES File Explorer on your Android phone after the installation process.
Step 3. Now, open the internal memory storage device folder, from which you will find a folder named "WhatsApp".
Step 4. Open the WhatsApp folder, find the Media folder, and cut the folder.
Step 5. Once you cut the Media folder, you can move it on to the SD card device folder. Create a new folder and name it "WhatsApp".
Step 6. Open the new WhatsApp folder and paste the media files from internal memory into it.
Congratulations! Now all your WhatsApp data has been successfully moved to the SD card. You can go to the internal memory to erase the WhatsApp folder to free up more internal storage space. Of course, you can also use ES File Explorer, follow the similar steps above to transfer other applications to the SD card. Give it a try, you will find it very simple. However, before you start implementing this approach, here's a small problem: This method is designed to help Android users better manage their WhatsApp media files, and you can't set it as the default option to move media files to external storage.
Another way to transfer WhatsApp data to an SD card is to use a USB cable. This is the most classic way to transfer WhatsApp media files to an SD card. To do this, you'll need to prepare an Android-compatible USB cable to connect your device to your computer. Then copy the WhatsApp folder on your computer and paste it into the SD card. If you prefer to operate in the traditional way, you can continue reading to see how to move WhatsApp data to the SD card using your computer and a USB cable that is compatible with your phone.
1. Connect your Android phone to your PC with a USB cable. Wait patiently for a while until the computer recognizes the phone. If you are connecting the phone to your computer for the first time, you will need to install the necessary drivers.
2. Open "My Computer", find your phone and open it.
3. Browse the folder on your phone and find the folder named WhatsApp.
4. Open the WhatsApp folder and find the media subfolder where the photos are stored.
5. Copy the media subfolder.
6. Insert the SD card into your computer's card reader and open it.
7. Create a new folder in the SD card, or select an existing folder, depending on your personal preferences. Then paste the WhatsApp photos into this folder.
8. Insert the SD card back into the phone, and now you can access the WhatsApp photos directly from your phone.
What if you have accidentally deleted WhatsApp media files on SD card? Don't worry, you can draw support from a third-party Android data recovery to recover deleted WhatsApp media on SD card. Coolmuster Lab.Fone for Android (with its Mac version - Lab.Fone for Android Mac) can help you scan and find the media files back. It is a reliable Android data recovery tool to retrieve deleted or lost contacts, text messages, photos, videos, music, call history, documents and more from Android phone memory and SD card.
Steps to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Media Files from SD Card:
1. Launch Lab.Fone for Android and connect your SD card to the computer using a card reader. Choose "SD Card Recovery" from the top of the program window. Then, the connected SD card will be detected by the program.
2. Click "Next" and all the contents that you can recover will be displayed in categories. You can select the data type to allow the program to scan your SD card.
3. Choose the media files that you want to recover and click the "Recover" button to save them on your computer.
Conclusion: As you can see, moving WhatsApp data to an SD card is easy and there are many ways to choose. Even if you are a computer novice, you can do this easily. If you are experiencing any problems trying to transfer WhatsApp data to your SD card to free up your phone's storage space, please let us know by posting a comment below.