- Apple Support Community
You may want to back up text messages from your iPhone to Gmail for different reasons. This article explains five step-by-step ways to complete the iPhone SMS backup to Gmail. Check the following instructions if you are eager to do this.
Way 1. How to Sync iPhone SMS to Gmail via Settings
Way 2. How to Back Up iPhone SMS to Google Drive via Coolmuster iOS Assistant
Way 3. How to Save Text Messages from iPhone to Email via Google Drive App
Way 4. How to Make iPhone Text Message Backup to Gmail via the Messages App
Way 5. How to Back Up iMessages to Gmail via iTunes
First of all, you can make the iPhone SMS backup to an email from your iPhone's Settings. It's highly automatic and free.
1. Open the iPhone's Settings > Messages > choose Text Message Forwarding.
2. Input your Gmail account details on the next screen.
After that, it will automatically sync your iPhone SMS to Gmail. However, some messages may fail to be forwarded to Gmail, or you may have problems viewing SMS no Gmail. In that case, you can try other ways to back up text messages on your iPhone.
See more: These apps can help you transfer photos from your iPhone to your PC. Then your batches of pictures will be moved easily.
If you want to selectively back up iMessages/SMS to Gmail, there is no better choice than Coolmuster iOS Assistant. It enables you to preview all the messages on your iPhone before exporting them onto your computer in readable formats like TEXT, CSV, and HTML. Besides, you can also back up the whole iPhone data to the computer in one click.
The highlights of Coolmuster iOS Assistant:
How do I transfer my text messages from iPhone to Gmail selectively?
Note: Please ensure that iTunes or Music can detect your iPhone, or the program will fail to detect it.
1. Download and install Coolmuster iOS Assistant on your computer. Next, launch the app and connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Unlock your iPhone and tap Trust if asked. Once the software detects your iPhone, you will see the following interface.
3. Choose Messages on the left window and check the wanted SMS after previewing all of them. Later, hit the Export button on the top to save them to your computer.
4. Visit google.com/gmail on your computer, click the Sign in button at the upper-right corner, and enter your Gmail account and password. Then, compose a new email, attach the exported messages as an attachment, and send it to your other email account.
You may like:
You can also back up text messages and other files to Gmail via the Google Drive app. For that, you need to install the Google Drive app on your iPhone first. Then, use the iPhone app to back up text messages directly.
1. Install and open the Google Drive app on your iPhone and sign in with your Gmail account.
2. Click the hamburger icon at the upper-left corner > tap the gear icon for Settings > Backup.
3. Press the Start Backup button. Then, it will back up all the iPhone data it supports to your Gmail account, including text messages, calendar events, photos & videos, and contacts.
Guess you like:
How to directly sync iPhone data to another iPhone? These methods can support you.
With these methods, you can fast cast your iPhone screen to a MacBook.
Assume your iPhone runs iOS 9 or up. You can use this method to back up text messages from iPhone to Gmail.
How do I back up my text messages to Gmail via the Message app?
1. Launch the Message app on your iPhone and open a conversation.
2. Press and hold the message you want to transfer until more options appear on the screen.
3. Click the More option, select other desired messages, and tap the Arrow icon at the lower-right corner.
4. Enter your Gmail account address in the To field and hit the Send button.
The last way is a bit complicated. First, you need to back up your iPhone SMS/iMessages to a computer via iTunes. Then, transfer the backup file to an Android device and sync it to your Gmail account. You will need to use more than one app during the whole process.
To back up text messages from iPhone to Google Drive:
1. Run the latest version of iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable.
2. Once detected, click the iPhone icon under Devices in the iTunes window and select This computer under Summary > Backups.
3. Hit the Back Up Now button to sync your iPhone data, including messages, to your computer.
4. Locate the backup file on your computer.
For Mac: Go to: /(user name)/Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/Backup;
For PC: Open: /users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/Mobile Sync.
5. Connect an Android phone to the computer. Next, find the text message folder named: 3d0d7e5fb2ce2888813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 and copy & paste the file to your Android device.
6. Install iSMS2droid from Google Play Store on your Android phone.
7. Launch the app, head over to the file you copied to the device a few minutes ago, and restore the file to your Android device with the app.
8. Download SMS Backup & Restore from Google Play Store on your Android phone. Next, open the app and log in with your Gmail account.
9. Tap the Backup button, select Text Messages, and hit Back Up Now. Afterward, it will transfer your iPhone SMS to your Gmail account.
Have you decided which way to choose after knowing how to back up text messages from iPhone to Gmail? As far as I reckon, Coolmuster iOS Assistant is the best way worth your consideration. It lets you preview all the text messages before syncing and choose the wanted messages to transfer. Moreover, you can read the HTML, CSV, or TEXT format messages in Gmail rather than messy codes. So, why not give it a try?