The issue of locked iPhone happens now and then when people get back their lost iDevice, or buy the used iOS device with unknown passwords, or simply forget the passcodes they have set up on their iPhone 14/13/12/11/X/8 Plus/8/7/6. One of the effective methods to fix the locked iPhone issue is to factory reset the iDevice. So how do you factory reset a locked iPhone when you need? Just read on to learn the guide to factory reset a locked iPhone in this article.
Method 1. Unlock Your iPhone with iTunes
Method 2. Unlock iPhone via Recovery Mode
Extra Bonus: Guide to Recover Lost iPhone Data after Factory Resetting
If you have synced your iPhone with iTunes, you can use iTunes to restore your device, which will erase the iPhone and the passwords.
1. Get a USB cable to connect your iPhone to the computer that you have synced with before.
2. Launch iTunes on computer and ensure the latest iTunes has installed on the PC. You can go to "Help" > "Check for Updates" on iTunes to make sure.
3. Locate and right-click the device icon on iTunes and select the "Backup" option to create a backup of current iPhone contents, which you may use later to repopulate the locked iPhone. Wait for a while till iTunes finishes to sync your iPhone and make a backup.
4. Click "Restore from Backup " and select your device on iTunes, then click "File" to pick a backup file with a date prior to the addition of the passcodes. In this way, you can access the iPhone without the passwords and then reset the passwords as you like.
Besides the above method, you can also factory reset your locked iPhone with Recovery Mode. And please note that enabling the Recovery Mode will restore your iPhone and also erase the device's data and the passcodes.
1. Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cord and run iTunes on PC. And please ensure that the latest iTunes has been installed on the computer.
2. When your iPhone is connected, please force restart it:
· On an iPhone 6s and earlier, long press the "Sleep/Wake" button and "Home" button at the same time till the iPhone turns on automatically and you can see the iTunes icon on your iPhone screen. Release and then keep holding the two buttons till you can see the Recovery Mode screen.
· On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, hold simultaneously the "Sleep/Wake" button and "Volume Down" button instead of the "Home" button. And the rest steps are the same.
3. Later you might receive a message from iTunes stating "The software on "iPhone" needs to be restored to factory settings or updated." Just click "Restore" to fix the locked iPhone issue and wait a while to finish the process.
4. If you have the previous iTunes backup, you could also restore your iPhone data by click "Summary" > "Restore Backup" to choose a backup on iTunes to get back the data on your iPhone. After that, you might reboot the device and reset the passcodes as you like.
To factory reset your locked iPhone, you are required to erase your device, which will delete all data and settings on your iPhone, including the passcode settings. Unless you have made a backup of your iPhone before it gets locked, there is no way to save your iPhone's data. And even though you have backed up the data, you still may lose some data that you have not synced with iTunes before you forget the password. So how to get back the lost data on your iPhone after factory resetting? Let's find out how as below.
Tool You'll Need:
The iPhone Data Recovery - Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery supports to recover the lost, deleted data among different circumstances, for example, restore iDevice to factory settings, jailbreak or refurbish iDevice, fail to iOS upgrade, get your iOS device lost or stolen, mistakenly delete device data, crash or damage the device, become inaccessible due to a forgotten passwords and etc. And powerful program allows to recover different types of contents, including the Contacts, Messages (SMS), Call History, Notes, Safari, Calendars, Voice Memos, Photos and more on all versions of iDevices, including the iPhone 14/13/12/11/X/8 Plus/8/7/6, iPad Pro/Air/4/mini/2, iPod touch 8/7/6/5/4/3/2.
Here is how to recover data:
There are two ways to recover lost data with the program, just follow the instructions to do it step by step.
Way 1: Using Recover from iOS Device mode:
Step 1. Download and run the program on the computer, and connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cable. Then you might an interface with two different modes, "Recover from iOS Device" mode and "Recover from iTunes Backup File" mode.
Step 2. Select the "Recover from iOS Device" and click "StartScan" button to make the program to scan your device. Wait for a while and you might see all the contained files showing in categories, including the lost ones.
Step 3. Preview the data in details and choose the data you want to recover and click "Recover" to get back the data immediately.
Way 2: Using the Recover from iTunes Backup File mode:
The "Recover from iTunes Backup File" mode is to recover the data by scanning the iTunes backup that you have ever synced with iTunes on your computer before.
Step 1. After launching the program, select the "Recover from iTunes Backup File" mode. Then you will get an interface as below, containing all backup files from different device. Just select your device and click "StartScan" to extract the backup.
Step 2. After that, you might see all the files from your iPhone's backup showing in categories, preview and tick one or more items that you want to recover, and click "Recover" to save them on your computer.
Note: To recover files with iTunes, please not to connect and sync your iDevice with iTunes after you lose data, or the original backup files including the your lost data would be covered.
Three Ways to Easily&Safely Unlock iPhone Password