Apple's AirDrop allows users to transfer files between two iOS devices, or between iOS device and Mac. However, some users have trouble in sharing files on Mac using AirDrop, stating that AirDrop is not working on Mac. In this case, this article will offer some solutions to fix the problem and help you to make full use of AirDrop.
Some people might find that they can not use AirDrop to share files on MacBook Pro/Air or iMac. If so, please check the following solutions to resolve this problem.
1. Make sure AirDrop is available.
AirDrop is not available for older Mac and iOS devices. So before going further, please make sure both devices (i.e. the sender and receiver) are supported by AirDrop. There are limitations when using AirDrop to share files between different devices.
- When transferring files between two Mac computer, macOS requires OS X Lion (10.7) or later, including:
· MacBook Air (Late 2010) or later;
· MacBook Pro (Late 2008) or later (excluding the MacBook Pro, 17-inch, Late 2008);
· MacBook (Late 2008) or later (excluding the white MacBook, Late 2008);
· iMac (Early 2009) or later;
· Mac Mini (Mid 2010) or later;
· Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010 or later).
- When transferring between Mac and iOS device, macOS should be running OS X Yosemite (10.10) or later while iPhone/iPad/iPod should be running iOS 8 or later, including:
· MacBook Air (Mid 2012) or later;
· MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) or later;
· iMac (Late 2012) or later;
· Mac Mini (Late 2012) or later;
· Mac Pro (Late 2013) or later.
· iPhone: iPhone 5 or later, including iPhone X/8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus/6s/6 Plus/6/5S/5;
· iPad: iPad (4th generation) or later;
· iPad mini: iPad mini (1st generation) or later;
· iPod touch: iPod touch (5th generation) or later.
2. Make sure both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on Mac.
To send and receive files via AirDrop, it requires both of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to be enabled on both devices (sender and receiver). So please check and make sure you have turned on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your Mac. If you have enabled them, please try to turn off and turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your device and make sure you have a good network connection.
3. Allow everyone to discover your AirDrop.
You may also have chosen the "Contacts Only" option on AirDrop, which only allows you to send or receive files to/from your contacts. If so, you'd better switch to "Everyone" option to make everyone find your AirDrop.
To do so, please go to "Finder" > "AirDrop". On the bottom of AirDrop window, you can see the words of "Allow me to be discovered by". If it is "Contacts Only", please choose "Everyone" instead.
4. Turn off "Block all incoming communications" on Firewall.
Please check if you have enabled the "Block all incoming communications" feature on Firewall, if so, you can not share files with AirDrop. So please turn it off.
To do so, please go to "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Firewall" > "Firewall Options" and uncheck "Block all incoming communications" option here.
1. How to AirDrop Files by Drag and Drop
To share files on Mac, the most direct way is to use drag and drop the files. To do so, please launch your Mac and go to "Finder" and locate the files you want to share, then choose the files and drag them to "AirDrop" tab on the left panel. Keep holding till the AirDrop window shows up on the right panel. Finally, drop the files to the contact you want to share with from the contact lists.
2. How to AirDrop Contents with Share Button
You can also use the "Share" button to AirDrop files on Mac. To do so, please find the target files on "Finder", then select the files and click "Share" icon on the top to choose "AirDrop from the drop-down list. Then a pop up window will appear, just select a contact that you want to send the files to. Thus the selected files will be sent to this contact.
3. How to AirDrop Files Using Context Menu
You might use the context menu to share files with other iOS device via AirDrop. To do so, you can open "Finder" and locate the desired files, then right click on the files to open the context menu, and choose "Share" > "AirDrop" option from the menu to share files with others.
If you are Windows or Android users, or if either of your Mac or iPhone/iPad/iPod does not support to use AirDrop to share files, you can also use the best AirDrop Alternatives for Windows, iPhone and Android to share files with others without any restriction.