- Excerpted from Samsung Community
Setting up a security lock on your Samsung phone protects the device data from unauthorized users. But what if "my Samsung phone is locked and I can't unlock it"? Don't sweat it. This post will illustrate how to reset a Samsung phone that is locked using seven proven ways. You will be able to wipe the locked Samsung yourself after reading the guide.
Part 1. Something to Know before Resetting Your Locked Samsung Phone
Part 2. How to Reset Samsung Phone when Locked via Samsung Unlock
Part 3. How to Reset Samsung without a PIN in Recovery Mode
Part 4. How to Wipe a Locked Samsung Using a Google Account
Part 5. How to Factory Reset Samsung without Password Using Buttons
Part 6. How to Factory Reset a Locked Samsung Phone with Find My Mobile
Part 7. How to Factory Reset Android Phone when Locked with Find My Device
Part 8. How to Format Locked Samsung Phone via Android Debug Bridge
Before moving on to the specific solutions, take one minute to view the following useful tips.
As the easiest way to factory reset a Samsung from the lock screen, Samsung Unlock enables you to remove any Android lock screen from your device in a few clicks. Besides, it also helps you bypass Samsung/Google FRP without effort.
The highlights of Samsung Unlock:
Note: The resetting process will erase precious data from your Samsung device (except for some older Samsung phones). So, we strongly recommend you access the locked Android phone via USB to back up your device before continuing.
How do you factory reset a Samsung phone that is locked?
1. Launch the program on your computer after installation and enter Screen Unlock.
Next, plug your Samsung phone into the PC using a USB cable and choose the Unlock Android Screen mode.
2. Select the correct device information on the interface and tap Next to proceed.
3. Put your Samsung phone into Download mode by following the on-screen instructions, and wait for the recovery package to be downloaded on your device.
4. Click the Remove Now button to start unlocking your Samsung phone.
If you don't want to install any apps, you can reset your locked Samsung phone by putting it into Recovery mode. Below's how.
1. Power off your Samsung phone.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, and don't release any buttons when the phone vibrates.
3. When you see No Command on the screen, wait for one minute until the device enters Recovery mode.
4. Scroll down to the Wipe data/factory reset option using the Volume buttons and press the Power button to confirm the choice.
5. Choose Yes - Delete all user data to start the factory reset process. Once finished, select the Reboot system now option to restart your device.
Later, you can access your phone without the lock screen.
See also: Want to unlock the passcode on an iPhone without a computer? Here's the guide you need.
If your Samsung phone runs Android 4.4 or older versions, you can reset the device using the Google account linked with your device. But this method will need to provide the Google account credentials. Thus, make sure you know the Google account email and passwords.
How to reset a Samsung phone that is locked and won't turn off?
1. Unceasingly enter the wrong password five times until the Forgot Password/Pattern option displays on the screen.
2. Tap the Forgot Password/Pattern option > Sign In with Google Account Credentials.
3. Type in your Google account and password and hit the Sign In button. Soon, your device will reset itself.
Maybe you like: Your iPhone clicking icons on its own? It's a small snag. You can fix it with this guide.
You can also utilize physical buttons on your Samsung phone to reset it. Before getting started, your need to connect your device to a stable Wi-Fi or cellular network. Note that it will wipe out all settings and data, and you can only restore files from your previous backup.
Also, ensure that you remember the Google account associated with your phone since you will need to verify the operation during the setup process. If you forget it, find or reset the Google password first.
How do I force my Samsung to factory reset?
1. Press and hold the Power + Volume Up + Home buttons together for 10 seconds.
2. On the Installing System Update screen, move to the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option using the Volume buttons and tap the Power button to confirm.
3. Choose Yes to start the factory reset process.
4. Restart the phone and finish the setup process.
As a Samsung user, you can also factory reset the locked phone using the Find My Mobile feature as long as you have registered your device with a Samsung account and enabled the Remote Unlock option before.
How to unlock the Samsung A21 phone forgot password?
1. Open findmymobile.samsung.com from a computer or another phone's browser and log in with the same Samsung account details you use on your locked device.
2. Click the Unlock tab > Unlock > enter your Samsung account password to confirm > hit Next.
3. A pop-up window will appear on your phone and notify you of the result.
Assume you have signed in to your Google account and enabled the Find My Device option on the locked device. You can remotely reset the phone via the same Google account.
Please turn on your Samsung phone and connect it to mobile data or Wi-Fi network during the whole process. After that, refer to the steps below.
How to reset a Samsung phone that is locked via a Google account?
1. Visit google.com/android/find from any browser on your computer or other devices and sign in with the same Google account linked with your Samsung phone.
2. Choose the locked Samsung phone under All Devices and tap the Erase Device option on the left sidebar.
3. Tap Erase Device again and confirm with the Erase button.
Your Samsung phone will restart and restore itself to factory settings. Wait for several minutes until the reset process is complete and your device turns on.
ADB command also reset your locked Samsung device. But it requires enabling the USB debugging on your phone before it gets locked and the computer supports ADB. Otherwise, it won't work.
You can follow the given instructions below to access the locked Samsung phone:
1. Connect your Samsung phone to the computer using a USB cord and install the ADB tool on your computer.
2. Right-click Start on the desktop > tap Run > input cmd in the window > press the Enter key on the keyboard to open a command window.
3. Type in the following command in the window: adb shell rm /data/system/gesture/.key and hit the Enter key.
4. Restart your Samsung phone, and you will access your device without a password.
That's all for how to reset a Samsung phone that is locked. As you can see, methods like Find My Mobile, Find My Device, ADB, and Google account still need you to enter Google or Samsung account credentials or fulfill relevant preconditions. Or you cannot proceed.
Only the Samsung Unlock doesn't require any password in the real sense nor has other rigid requirements. Thus, Samsung Unlock is undoubtedly the best way to go!