With the invention of technology, you can back up almost everything from your Android device to an external storage or cloud-based storage. Several reasons may force you back up text messages from Android to PC, such as buying a new phone or you want to perform a phone factory reset. Whatever your reasons for wanting to know how to back up text messages from Android phone, we have got you covered in this article. By the end of this article, you will know how to back up text messages in Android.
Part 1: How to Back Up SMS on Android to PC/Mac with Android Assistant
Part 2: How to Back Up SMS from Android to Windows/Mac Computer with Android Backup Manager
Part 3: How to Save Text Messages on Android with SMS Backup+
Part 4: How to Back Up Text Messages on Android via SMS Backup & Restore
Part 5: How to Export Text Messages from Android to New Phone
How to Back Up Text Messages on Android without App
Nowadays, some Oreo-based Android phones and Google's Pixels come with inbuilt SMS backup option. These devices also include a tool that helps users to move messages from one phone to another. If your Android device is running Android 8.1 or later, it is possible to restore data such as messages after the first setup.
Unluckily, your phone must include the 'Finish setting up' button at the Settings panel. As you can see, this isn't a manual process, and you will just need to tap the 'Finish setting up' button to restore any text messages to your phone. Since the backups are stored in Google Drive, it makes the process straightforward.
When it comes to exporting text messages from Android to PC/Mac, Coolmuster Android Assistant (or Coolmuster Android Assistant for Mac) is the best application to use. By using this application from Coolmuster, you will be able to back up and restore text messages with ease. Here are the primary features of the app:
* The application uses a single click to back up and restore Android data.
* It backs up multiple kinds of data such as text messages, call logs, contacts, videos, images, music, among others between phone and PC.
* It can be used to add, edit, delete and unduplicate contacts via PC.
* You can use it to send and reply text messages from PC directly.
* It can install as well as uninstall applications on your PC.
* You can use it to import or export contacts from Outlook.
* It can back up or restore Android call logs.
With this application, you can back up Android texts with 1-click. Coolmuster integrates one-click 'Backup & Restore' feature to help you transfer all text messages to a computer. Also, it can restore the backed up messages back to your device with a simple click. Here is how to achieve this:
1. Connect your gadget to the PC and launch the application.
2. Go to the 'Super Toolkit' menu and select the 'Backup' option.
3. Select 'Messages' and then choose the location on your Mac or PC where you want the text messages saved.
4. Tap on the 'Back Up' icon to back up the text messages to the selected location.
For those who want to export text messages from Android selectively, it is still possible via this unique program. Here is how you can use the program to save text messages from Android to computer:
1. Open the application and select 'SMS' from the left panel. On the right panel, you will see a list of all SMS in your device.
2. Tap on the text messages that you want to move to PC.
3. The application has 9 modes to deal with Android SMS, such as the 'Export' mode, the 'Import' mode, the 'Delete' mode and etc. Select the mode that best suits you.
4. For backing up purposes, you need to click the 'Export' button and choose the output format you need, such as HTML, Text, CSV, BAK, XML.
The good thing about Coolmuster Android Assistant is that you can use it to send a new message to numbers. To do this, tap on the 'New Message' button, type the number to send the message to or select the contact directly. Lastly, input the message content on the blank area. Afterward, tap on the 'Send' icon to send the message.
Tips: See more ways to back up and restore Android messages>>
The second best application that enables you to easily and quickly back up text messages from Android is Coolmuster Android Backup Manager. With the help of this tool, you can back up and restore a variety of files to/from computer. The whole transferring process is fast and stable.
* This software enables you to 1-click back up and restore Android files.
* It supports a wide range of files, including contacts, messages, call logs, photos, music, videos, documents, and apps.
* It can restore files to any Android phone with the losslessly quality.
* You can connect your Android to PC via USB or Wi-Fi.
* It is extremely easy to operate with a user-friendly interface.
Download Coolmuster Android Backup Manager to have a try:
Here's how to back up text messages from Android to PC via Android Backup Manager:
1. Download and launch the software on your computer.
2. After the software detects your Android phone, click the 'Backup' option.
3. Tick off the checkbox next to 'Messages'. You can click 'Browse' to decide where to store the backups on your PC.
4. Tap on the 'Back Up' button to back up text messages on Android phone to PC.
If you want to keep your messages in cloud storage without necessarily accessing them locally, the best application to use is SMS Backup+. This application is free and enables users to back up MMS, SMS, as well as call history to their Gmail Accounts. SMS Backup+ arranges the backup SMS in the same manner as emails. The setup is easy and straightforward.
Here is how to back up text messages on Android via this tool:
1. Download and install the SMS Backup+ application on your device.
2. Link the app to your chosen Gmail Account. You should not worry about the access right this app comes with since you can block it from Google Account Settings any time you feel like.
3. Click on the 'Connect' checkbox.
4. Select your Google Account.
5. Here, you opt either to perform a full backup or the only back up the text messages received from that point onwards.
Note: It is possible to back up the messages in your phone to a Label known as SMS in your Gmail account automatically. All you need to do is ensure that the 'Backup' checkbox is ticked.
Since Google isn't entirely into text messaging business, it does not prioritize the backing up of SMS on its platform. However, if you want to ascertain the safety of your SMS, you can do so via SMS Backup & Restore. Here is how to back up messages on Android through this program:
1. Download the app (SMS Backup & Restore) from Google Play Store and install it on your phone.
2. Launch the program, and click on the 'Backup' icon.
3. You can click the 'OK' button if you want to store backups on your phone's internal storage or click the 'Custom Folder' to store the backups in SD card or another location in your phone.
4. Tick the checkboxes of the items you want to move, especially the SMS.
5. You can click the checkboxes next to include Special characters/Emojis and/or include MMS Messages if you want a backup of them.
6. If you need to back up specific conversations, click the 'Selected Conversations Only.' You will get a window that shows you the particular convos to back up.
7. Select whether to back up the data to 'Local Backup and Upload' or 'Local Backup Only.' The text messages can be uploaded to DropBox, Email or Google Drive. However, you will need to install an Add-On known as 'SMS Backup & Restore' for you to upload the backup data.
8. Tap on the 'OK' button.
Note: If you perform a local backup, you may lose your data if you lose or format your device.
If you want to transfer your text messages from one device to another, the best app is to use Coolmuster Mobile Transfer, which widely supports Android and iOS devices with one simple click. So you can use it to export text messages from Android to Android, or from Android to iPhone/iPad/iPod as you like.
Download it to have a try:
Here's how to make it:
1. Launch Coolmuster Mobile Transfer on computer.
2. Connect your two phones to computer with USB cables, and choose 'Text Messages' that you want to back up from Android phone.
3. Click 'Start Copy' button to start backing up text messages from one phone to another.
Is there any other way to back up SMS from Android?
1. Download and install any of the above applications on your device.
2. Launch the app, and connect your Gmail Account.
3. Tap the 'Backup' button to start the process.
4. Select your backup location, either local or online.
5. Wait for the process to finish successfully.
6. Now, move the backup to the new phone. Install the same app on the target device.
7. Use the same Gmail account you used in the step above to set up the new device.
8. Launch the app, and click the 'Restore' button to initiate the restoration process.
9. Wait for the text messages to be saved on the target phone.
It is simple to back up text messages and other data on your phone. Install any of the applications described above and ascertain that you never lose a single SMS. Although the programs will help you back up and restore SMS on your device, Coolmuster Android Assistant and Coolmuster Android Assistant are the best two backup tools to use among those discussed. They both enable you to perform a full backup of your device, and quickly backs up or restores data with a single click.