If you're a user of an Apple product, you must be knowing by now that your devices get backed up whenever it is connected to iTunes. In this regard, it is vital that you follow a few backup tips because when you accidentally lose your data. These backup files are all you have to restore it. Ideally, your system is expected to have the latest version of iTunes installed to get the best advantage from the backup files.
Here we present you with the 6 different iTunes backup tips that can help you deal with the backup files all by yourself.
1. Manage App Data
In case, you need to manage your app data and control the apps that are backed up on iTunes, you can follow the below steps to manage it.
- Open the Settings in your device and go to iCloud;
- Select Storage and click on "Manage Storage" option here;
- Select the iDevice you wish to control and then you will see a list of all the apps that under the backup options;
- Turn on/off an app depending on your requirement, and a popup screen appears asking for a confirmation, then choose "turn off and delete";
- Finally, delete the corresponding backup from iCloud.
2. Encrypt iPhone Backup
It is natural for you to be concerned about the security of your data and you don't wish your data to end up in the hands of any hackers. Hence, it is essential that your backup files are encrypted. What encryption does be that it saves your data in a different format that can be accessed only by that particular device or any other device when you enter the same passcode. Your backup files are vulnerable and it is always a healthy choice to opt for encrypting. Follow the below-mentioned steps to achieve this.
- After connecting your iPhone with iTunes, click on your device on sidebar;
- Open the Summary menu and click on "options" at the bottom of the panel;
- Check on the last option that says "encrypt iPhone backup" and enter a password on the dialog box that appears next;
- By doing this, the backup file is encrypted and will only be available if you enter the same password at the next time.
3. Restore iPhone by using iPad Backup
In case, you lose the data of your iPhone and are taking the help of backup files to restore your data, you will be needing an extractor to read the actual data from the backup files. Because, the backup file is not in a readable format as such and should be converted using an extractor. Also, by having a backup for your iPad and if you need to restore that data to any other device like your iPhone, you cannot restore all the files like photos from camera roll, messages etc. This can be done using a good extractor without much fuss. One of the most effective software used for this purpose is the iPhone Backup Extractor by Coolmuster. This is a software that allows you to retrieve files from any backup file easily and effectively. (Learn more about how to restore iPhone from iPad backup.)
- Download and install the program on your Windows or Mac computer, then the program will detect all synced backup files on the computer and display them for your reference.
- Select the backup file you need and hit "Start Scan" button to view the detailed files in the form of categories.
- Tick the file you wish to restore and click "Recover" button to save them on your desktop computer.
4. Backup Apps to iTunes
With few steps, you can backup your iDevice apps to iTunes easily:
- Open iTunes in your system and click the File menu and move to Devices and then hit Backup button. (File > Devices > Backup)
- iTunes will then create a backup of the data in your device.
- You can view the backed up files by clicking preferences in iTunes and then selecting devices.
- Here, all the backup files are present beside the timestamp.
5. Opting out of iTunes backup on your PC
There might be a good example where you no longer want iTunes to backup the data or delete the existing backup files of a particular device. This process is rather straightforward and simple.
- Open iTunes and move to preferences on your computer.
- You can see all the devices along with their respective backups and select the backup that you don't want to have.
- Click on "Delete Backup" option and complete the process.
6. View iTunes Backup Files
If you want to view iTunes backup files on your desktop computer, you can go to the backup folder in the mobilesync folder. Here, you can see a list of the available devices, you can select the device you want to view by observing the timestamp. Or you can go to here to see the detailed steps to view iTunes backup files on desktop computer.
Q1. iTunes could not backup your device because the backup couldn't be saved.
A: - Go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync;
- Open the properties of the "Backup" folder;
- Select the Security tab and highlight "Everyone" and check the "Full control" box and click OK.
Q2. You are displayed a message that says "The backup could not be saved on your PC"
A: When you see this message, please try verifying your programs and check for any incompatible programs. And try again.
Q3. Not enough free space available here
A: First of all, you can check the capacity and demands. Then delete some unnecessary files on your iDevice, and deeply clear all junk files, crash files, background processes, etc. on your iPhone, iPad and iPod.
Q4. iTunes shows different error messages
A: iTunes might show different messages like "The backup session has failed", "A session couldn't be started", or "An unknown error has occurred" etc. The cause might be that the program that monitors the Winsock protocol for Windows is in conflict with the Apple software. You should confirm with the publisher for updates and resolve the conflict between their software and the Apple software. In case they have not rolled out an update rectifying the problem, you should complain about the same issue and wait for the update.
For more info about iTunes backup or restore problems & solutions, please go to here to learn more.
Write in the end
It is no doubt that you may met other problems while you are using the iTunes to backup or manage your iDevice data, and this article can't contain all issues related to the topic. But please believe that, we have tried our best to provide you with the most common tips and solutions related to iTunes backup. So we really hope this article can help you solve your problem with the iTunes backup issue.