"I am just wondering if there is any free software which lets the user open/view/extract/edit an iPhone backup file? Please let me know if there is any?? I know there is a paid version, but I hate buying dodgy software online. I've been ripped a few times cause the software does not work as described. PayPal won't refund my money because it's not from eBay. Thank you in advance."
- Excerpted from ModMy forum
It doesn't seem easy to open and read iPhone backup files since it's well-hidden. Relax! This post tells you how to view iPhone backups on Windows PC and Mac using free and paid methods. Let's explore.
Part 1. How to View iPhone Backup Files on PC via Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery
Part 2. How to Access iPhone Backups on PC/Mac via Spotlight
Part 3. How to Open Old iPhone Backups on PC/Mac via iCloud
Part 4. How to View Old iPhone Backups on Mac with iTunes or Finder
Bonus: How to Delete iPhone Backups on your PC or Mac?
You cannot access iTunes backup files manually or view all the specific contents on your computer individually. However, the thing becomes much easier with the help of the third-party software Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery. Using this program, you can freely look at iPhone backup files and even get files from iPhone backup on your computer.
The highlights of Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery:
* View all detailed contents of iPhone backup freely.
* Access and recover photos, voice memos, notes, messages, contacts, etc., from the iTunes backup file.
* Preview both deleted and existing data and choose only the desired files to recover.
* Support Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP.
How to browse iPhone backup files on PC selectively?
1. Install Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery on your computer. Next, launch it and choose the Recover from iTunes Backup File mode on the left panel.
2. Select a backup file from the list and hit the Start Scan button to continue. (Note: If you cannot find the file you want, please click the Select button below to pick your iTunes backup file from other customized folders.)
3. On the data type selection interface, tick off the data types you want to view and recover and hit the Start Scan button again to start scanning.
4. After scanning, select one type from the left side, for example, Photos, and preview all the images as you want. If needed, check the wanted photos and hit the Recover to Computer button to save them to your PC.
How to Retrieve Deleted Call Logs on iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X Easily and Quickly?
How to View Text Messages on Computer for Android Phone Users? (Solved)
iTunes backups are usually stored in the default location path. Thus, you can manually open Apple backup files via Spotlight. The following instructions show you how.
1. Open the Spotlight search on your Windows 10/8/7.
2. Click the search box and enter %appdata%. If you don't see backups, type %USERPROFILE%.
3. Click the Return button.
4. Double-click the folders in sequence: Apple/Apple Computer > MobileSync > Backup.
1. Click the magnifier icon on the menu bar and enter or paste ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/.
2. Press the Return key.
Read also: Open this guide to get several practical measures to get more space on your iPhone.
If you have enabled automatic syncing of iPhone data to iCloud all the time, you can access iPhone backup via iCloud with these steps.
1. Install iCloud for Windows on your PC and sign in with the same Apple ID and password you used to back up your iPhone.
2. Click Storage > Backup, and you will see all iPhone backups there.
On a Mac running macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher:
1. Click Apple menu > System Preferences.
2. Tap Apple ID > iCloud > Manage.
3. Select Backups.
On a Mac running macOS Mojave 10.14 or lower:
1. Click Apple menu > System Preferences.
2. Tap iCloud > Manage.
3. Pick Backups.
You can also get files from iPhone backup via iTunes if you are using macOS X 10.14 and below versions. If you are running macOS X 10.15 and up, you can make it via Finder.
How to view iPhone backup files on Mac via iTunes?
1. Run iTunes on your Mac and tap iTunes on the menu bar.
2. Select Preferences > Devices > right-click the backup you want to access.
3. Choose the Show in Finder option.
How can I view iPhone backup files via Finder?
1. Open Finder on your Mac and click the Manage Backups option under the General tab.
2. Right-click the backup you wish to view and pick the Show in Finder option.
After mastering how to access backup on iPhone, you may also need to manage and delete the unwanted iPhone backup files. Just follow the directory below to get it done quickly.
1. Open iTunes and click on your device.
2. Select Preferences > Devices > right-click the backup you want to delete.
3. Choose the Delete or Archive option and hit OK when finished.
4. Tap the Delete Backup option and confirm the operation.
1. Open Finder on macOS X 10.15 or later or iTunes on macOS X 10.14 or earlier.
2. Choose the Manage Backups option under the General tab and right-click the backup you wish to delete.
3. Pick the Delete or Archive option.
4. Tap the Delete Backup button and confirm your operation.
That's all the possible ways for how to view iPhone backups on PC or Mac. Hopefully, you will successfully view, open, and manage the iPhone backups by following this guide. People who would like to preview and recover the desired iPhone backups selectively can give Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery a try. It's easy, swift, and reliable to use. Also, if you are interested, you can try every way above.
If you have any queries during use, please tell us in the comments.
iTunes Backup Location: Where Do iTunes Store Backups and How to Change iTunes Backup Location? (Updated)
How to Access WhatsApp Backup on iPhone/PC/Google Drive/iCloud without a Hitch?
[Fixed] How to Extract Photos from iPhone Backup?
How to Restore Contacts from iTunes Backup to iPhone Easily? (Top 3 Ways)
Best Instructions on How to View and Read iPhone Text Messages on Computer
Full Guide on How to Access iPhone Files on PC without iTunes