Guide on How to Sync iPhone to New Computer
Get a new computer and want to sync the existing files from your iPhone to the new computer? And this situation can be divided into two cases, i.e. have an iTunes backup on the old computer or have none. If you have already backed up files from iPhone to the old computer, be it Mac or PC, you can easily sync iPhone 7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6/5S/5/4S/4 with the new computer simply by copying the backup files to the new computer. But if you have no iTunes backup, things can be a little bit challenging but not impossible! Now, let's see how to solve this issue in different situation.
For Mac Users:
1. Quit iTunes on both Macs and disconnect the iPhone from both Macs.
2. Copy the iTunes directory from the old computer to the new one, located at: ~/Music/iTunes.
3. Open the user library directory and follow the path of ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/ to sync the backups from the old computer to the new one.
4. After that, follow the path of ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist to sync iTunes Preferences files to new computer as well.
5. Now, just connect the iPhone to the new Mac. Launch iTunes, and check the synced files to confirm that everything is in order, and then authorize the new computer. Finally, just sync iPhone to new computer as usual.
For Windows Users:
The steps are almost the same, and all you need to do is follow the right directory path as instructed to access the iPhone backups on the old PC computer and sync them to the new one in the below:
Note: Replace "USERNAME" with the users account name. Also, the directory paths may vary to different versions of Windows version. To correctly access the iPhone backup location, check here.
As you can see, though the listed way enables you to sync files from iPhone to new computer ultimately, it may a little troublesome. Worse still, according to the user feedback, when syncing iPhone to new computer, a message always pops up suggesting erasing existing files on iPhone device. Here is a better way which allows you to successfully sync iPhone with new computer without losing any data on your device. Why not give it a try?
That is, using this professional Coolmuster iOS to Computer Transfer (Windows/Mac) software. With it, you can easily sync iPhone with new computer without losing files on the device, be it Mac or PC computer. All files can be perfectly supported with this software, including contacts, messages, photos, videos, music, apps and many more. More importantly, this software can suit all generations of iPhone, iPad and iPod. With this software, you can freely share files between iPhone/iPad/iPod and Mac/PC computer as desired!
Steps to do it:
> Open the installed software on the new computer and then get your iPhone connected to the computer via the USB cord. Then this software will detect your device and scan through your iPhone for different files. (Note: Remember to click on Trust This Computer on the promo dialogue.)
> After detecting your device, you will see the below interface where all file folders are arranged on the left panel. You can now enter the different tabs to preview more detailed file information.
> While previewing, tick out the wanted files and click on Export option to transfer the files from iPhone to new computer. Finally, just wait for the process to get completed within a little while.
To transfer files from iPhone to the new Mac computer, actually you can still rely on the powerful Coolmuster iPhone/iPad/iPod to Computer Transfer (Windows/Mac) software as introduced in the above. With this software, you can easily transfer all files from iPhone to new Mac computer without any hassle. Detailed steps are as follows:
- After downloading the right Mac version on the computer, open it. And then get your iPhone connected to the computer via the USB cord. Then this software will detect your device and scan for all files saved on the iPhone device.
- As all files are displayed on the main interface, you can select the wanted files by ticking them out. And finally, hit the Export option to transfer all files from iPhone to Mac computer.
- Now, just wait patiently for the process to get completed within a little while.
Extra Bonus: Alternative Way to Sync iPhone to New Mac Computer
For Mac users, you can actually transfer files from iPhone to new Mac computer without any third-party software or program. Below steps are for those who want to sync iPhone to new Mac comptuer:
- Connect iPhone to the Mac computer with USB cable and you will hear a sound effect from the iPhone when the connection is done.
- Then the default file opening system will pop up. In iTunes, click on "File" option and find the tab that allows you to sync the iPhone with the administrator or transfer purchases from iPhone. Here, you need to know only those files that can be played on the computer can be synced to new Mac computer.
- Also, it allows you to import files. Just go to File > Add to library or Import to library and hit the Import or Add option to sync iPhone to new Mac computer in one click.
But as you can see, though it is possible to sync iPhone to new Mac computer without a third-party software, you can only transfer the purchases between iPhone and the computer. So why not just fully rely on this Coolmuster iPhone/iPad/iPod to Computer Transfer (Windows/Mac) software?