"I own a P9 Lite (EMUI 5.0, Android 7.0), and when I'm trying to move an app to my SD card, there is no option. But this option is available on someone's P8 Lite with Android 6.0. How can I fix this thing and move apps and data on the SD card?"
- Stick asked in Stack Exchange
Older Huawei models, like Huawei P8 Lite/P9 Lite and others, only possess 8GB or 16GB of internal storage and easily run out. That's maybe why many people wonder how to move apps to the SD card on Huawei. If you still operate such an old Huawei phone and want to migrate heavy apps or media files, the following methods may inspire you.
Part 1. Is it Possible to Move Apps to SD Card on Huawei?
Part 2. How to Move Apps to SD Card on Huawei P8 Lite Directly? (Not Available for Android 6.0 or later)
Part 3. How to Back Up Apps from Huawei to Computer?
Bonus Tip: How to Use an SD Card as Internal Storage?
Many people owning an old Huawei device may wonder whether it can move apps to the SD card on Huawei. Actually, it depends. According to Huawei Support, smartphones with Android 7.0 or later don't support moving apps to the SD card any longer. Therefore, if you own a Huawei P9 Lite/P10 Lite with Android 7.0, you may not be able to move apps to an SD card on the Huawei device.
Generally, assume you have set the SD card as the default location on your Huawei device from Settings > Memory > Storage. In that case, the downloaded apps will be automatically installed on the SD card. However, if you don't, you can try the following steps on your Huawei P8 Lite to move apps to an SD card manually.
How do I move apps from internal storage to the SD card on Huawei?
1. Open Settings on your Huawei phone and tap Apps.
2. Click Manage apps and choose the app you want to move to SD card.
3. Tap the Move to SD Card option.
That's it! How to move apps to the SD card on Huawei P10 Lite? Unfortunately, the Move to SD card option may not be available for you. Don't worry! The following methods will also help you free up more space on your Huawei device. Let's check!
See more: Then how to transfer photos from an SD card to an iPhone without hassle? This guide will show you 4 related ways.
Although modern Huawei devices no longer allow you to move apps to an SD card, you can transfer apps to a computer to free up more storage on your Huawei device. Here, we offer two options.
Coolmuster Android Assistant is a one-stop app to manage, transfer, back up, and restore Android data on a PC or Mac. You can preview all Android content on the computer and selectively back up the wanted apps or other data to your computer. Besides, you can also back up all user apps from your Android to your computer and restore them to another Android device in one click.
It is widely compatible with all Huawei phones and tablets running Android 4 to Android 11, such as Huawei P50/P50 Pro/P50 Pro+/P40/P40 Pro/P40 Pro+/P30/Mate 40/Mate 40 Pro/Mate 40 Pro+/Mate 30 Pro/Mate 30/Nova 8/Nova 7/P10 Lite/P8 Lite/MediaPad T3, etc.
How to back up apps from Huawei to a computer selectively?
1. Install and run Coolmuster Android Assistant on your computer and click Android Assistant on the interface.
2. Connect your Huawei phone to the computer via a USB cable and ensure USB debugging on your phone as prompted.
Once the program detects your device, it will display the phone's information on the main interface.
3. Click Apps on the left panel, preview and select the apps you want to back up, and hit the Export button on the top menu to save them to your computer.
Another way to back up apps from the Huawei phone to a computer is using Coolmuster Android Backup Manager. Compared with the first option, it is much more efficient, simple, and user-friendly to use. If you don't want to transfer all apps, you can only back up the heavy apps to your computer in one click.
Likewise, it also supports Huawei devices with Android 4 to Android 11.
Here's how to back up apps from Huawei to a computer in one click.
1. Open the software on your computer after installation and enter the Android Backup & Restore module.
2. Plug your Huawei phone into the computer using a USB cable. Once connected, you will see the following interface.
3. Click Backup on the main interface, check Apps from the table, and select the apps you want to back up. After that, hit Back Up to save them to your computer.
You may like:
Suppose that you want to keep a high performance of your device and store documents, photos, music, videos, and other files to your Huawei phone SD card automatically. In that case, you can set the SD card as the default storage position.
1. Put the SD card into your phone.
2. Open Settings > Storage > SD card > click the Menu option > select Storage settings.
3. Tap Format as internal > Erase and format > OK. After that, you can migrate your device data to the SD card.
Now that you know how to move apps to an SD card on a Huawei phone, you can follow the instructions above to make the switch. If you use a Huawei phone that runs Android 7.0 and later, you can adopt Coolmuster Android Assistant or Coolmuster Android Backup Manager to move apps from your Huawei phone to your computer for backup.
If you encounter any queries during use, don't hesitate to tell us in the comments.