"Hello everyone, I've been having a hardware problem on my iPhone, so I wanted to reset my iPhone to send it for warranty. I followed a tutorial to reset my iPhone in DFU mode. But now, the iPhone has been stuck on the Apple logo with the empty progression bar beneath it. When I connect iTunes, it orders me to enter my PIN code, but it is not asked on the iPhone. I can't enter it anywhere. I can't get it out of DFU mode either... What can I do?"
- Excerpted from Apple Discussion Forum
It makes people panic when the iPhone is stuck in DFU mode. Fortunately, you will learn how to get your iPhone out of DFU mode quickly with the help of this guide. Let's take a closer look.
Part 1. What Is the iPhone DFU Mode and How to Put iPhone in DFU Mode?
Part 2. Why Does Your iPhone Get Stuck in DFU Mode?
Part 3. How to Exit DFU Mode via Force Restart/Hard Reset?
Part 4. How to Take iPhone/iPad Out of DFU Mode via iTunes?
Part 5. How to Get iPhone/iPad Out of DFU Mode without iTunes?
Part 6. How to Remove iPhone from DFU Mode by Contacting Apple Support?
Before you exit DFU mode on your iPhone, you may want to figure out what the DFU mode is and how you have booted your iPhone 6 into DFU mode. Let's check it together.
What is DFU Mode?
DFU, abbreviated from Device Firmware Update, is a recovery mode for iPhone that allows you to interact with iTunes without entering the boot loader and fix various iPhone system glitches if needed. When your iPhone enters the DFU mode, you can upgrade or downgrade the iOS version, unlock the SIM card, or jailbreak your device.
Although sometimes it is regarded as one of the Recovery modes, it is different from the traditional Recovery mode since the DFU mode displays a black screen. In contrast, the Recovery mode shows the iTunes logo while on a black screen.
How to enter your iPhone in DFU mode?
Note: Nothing will show up on the black screen when your iPhone is in DFU mode. If the Apple logo appears, you may have pressed the Side button for too long.
On iPhone 8/8 Plus and above versions:
On iPhone 7/7 Plus:
On iPod touch, iPad, iPhone SE, and iPhone 6s and below:
You might like:
Below are the possible reasons why your iPhone gets frozen in DFU mode:
To exit DFU mode on iPad Air or iPhone without a computer, you can try these steps:
On iPhone 8/8 Plus and later:
On iPhone 7/7 Plus:
On iPad, iPod touch, iPhone SE, and iPhone 6s and lower:
Maybe you like: If your iPhone is stuck on transferring data, you can solve it in different ways.
Apart from hard reset, you can also use iTunes to solve how to recover the iPhone from DFU mode. If you don't mind losing all content, you can start with the following instructions.
How do you get your iPhone out of DFU mode via iTunes?
1. Ensure that the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer. Then, run it and connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
2. When a popup appears and shows that iTunes has already detected the iPhone in Recovery mode, tap OK to agree to the restore iPhone advice.
3. Hit the Restore iPhone button and confirm the operation.
You might be interested: Undo an Update on iPhone 13/12/11/X/8 with 5 Proven Tips
iOS System Recovery is the professional software that can exit DFU mode, get out of iPhone stuck in Apple logo, fix the iPhone/iPad black/red/blue/white screen of death, and repair other iTunes errors. It can solve almost all system issues on all models of iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
The highlights of iOS System Recovery:
* Fix various iOS system issues: Disabled iPhone, iPhone activation problems, battery drain, iPhone gets stuck in Apple logo/DFU/Recovery mode, loop restart, iPhone/iPad red/white/black/blue screen of death, iTunes errors, etc.
* Upgrade or downgrade the iOS version.
* Two repairing modes: Standard (no data loss) and Advanced modes.
* Easy and safe to use.
* Support almost all iPhone and iPad models (iOS 15 compatible), such as iPhone 12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/SE/11 Pro Max/11 Pro/11/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6, iPad 8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1, iPad Pro 5/4/3/2/1, iPad mini 5/4/3/2/1, iPad Air 4/3/2/1, etc.
How to get iPad/iPhone out of DFU mode automatically?
1. After installing the program on your computer, connect your iPhone or iPad to the PC via a USB cable and select iOS System Recovery on the interface.
2. Tap the Start button at the lower-right corner to let it detect the iPhone/iPad problem automatically.
3. Once your iPhone is successfully recognized, you can click the Repair button to download the appropriate firmware necessary for repair and get your iPhone out of DFU mode automatically. If you have downloaded the plugin before, choose the Select button to start repairing the device.
Once the firmware download is completed, the iOS System Recovery will automatically get your iPhone out of DFU mode, giving you back a normal iPhone.
If nothing works for exiting the DFU mode on your iPhone or iPad, you still get the last straw - taking your device to the Apple Authorized Service Center for repair or contacting the Apple Support Team, and they will tell you how to kick iPhone out of DFU mode.
Here are some things you need to prepare before they can help you as soon as possible:
That's all for how to get iPhone out of DFU mode in four proven ways. Among all the methods, it is not hard to find out that only iOS System Recovery preserves your data while exiting the DFU mode. Therefore, you can adopt this solution if you don't want any data loss.
If you encounter any problems while using the product, please leave a comment below describing your problem.