"I created a note on my laptop on my iCloud account very recently and closed the Notes app. The next morning I went to open it, and it randomly disappeared. It did not appear in the recently deleted folder, and restarting both my phone and laptop did not recover the file. I can't seem to access notes from an iCloud backup, so does anyone know how I could recover the data?"
- Posted by Zahra in Apple Discussion Community
iPhone notes disappeared suddenly? If you have joined in Apple Community, you will frequently receive similar recommendations on the home screen, such as:
"I just lost all my notes on my iPhone. How do I find my old notes on my iPhone?"
"I lost my notes on iPhone 6S..."
"My notes are gone, and I can't see my notes on iPhone. Why does my iPhone delete my notes?"
"iCloud notes disappeared. What happened to my notes on my iPhone?"
Don't worry if you have encountered an identical situation. You still get the chance to recover disappeared iPhone notes. Check this tutorial to learn how to get them back.
Part 1. Why Are Some of My Notes Missing on My iPhone?
Part 2. Where Did My Notes Go on My iPhone?
Part 3. How to Find Missing Notes on iPhone 6 or later from the Recently Deleted Folder
Part 4. How to Recover iPhone Notes that Disappeared Suddenly via Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery
Part 5. How to Get Notes Back on an iPhone with iCloud Backup
Part 6. How Do I Get Back My Notes on iPhone via iTunes Backup
Part 7. How to Recover Lost Notes on iPhone via Email Account Settings
Part 8. How Do I Find My Old Notes on iPhone Using Search
Below are the possible reasons for iPhone notes missing issue:
Like calendars, contacts, and other data on your iPhone, notes are generally stored in the cloud server associated with your email account. If you have set up the Notes settings with iCloud, all the created notes will be in the iCloud server. If you have enabled the automatic syncing of notes to Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, etc., your notes will exist in the associated email service.
When notes are suddenly deleted from your iPhone, they are still alive on the cloud server. As long as you remember the email account and password, you can download them from the cloud. For example, suppose you are using the upgraded notes option. In this case, it will remove the disappeared notes to the Recently Deleted folder on iCloud.com, where you can get them back within 30 days.
For iPhone running iOS 11 or later, there is a Recently Deleted folder in the Notes app. If you find iPhone notes missing, you can restore notes from the Recently Deleted folder within 30 days.
Here's what you can do.
1. On your iPhone, open the Notes app, click the back arrow at the top-left corner, and tap the Recently Deleted folder.
2. Click the Edit button on the top and select the notes you want to restore.
3. Hit the Move to option at the lower-left corner to restore them to the Notes app.
Suppose that there is no Recently Deleted notes folder on your iPhone, but you have recently backed up your iPhone with iTunes before missing notes. In that case, you can quickly restore lost notes on iPhone without data loss from the iTunes backup file using Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery. Additionally, you can also recover other files from the iPhone itself directly.
The highlights of Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery:
* Restore the deleted photos, contacts, notes, note attachments, voice memos, calendars, messages, etc., from the iTunes backup file to a computer without data loss.
* Recover the lost contacts, messages, and other files from the iPhone to a computer directly.
* Back up the existing iPhone data to the computer, like notes, calendars, photos, videos, music, iBooks, Safari, Safari history, reminders, etc.
* Preview both deleted and existing content and choose the desired items to recover or back up.
* Maintain the original data format and quality without data damages.
* Support all iPhone models (iOS 14 included), such as iPhone 12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/SE/11 Pro Max/11 Pro/11/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6, etc.
How to recover lost notes on iPhone from iTunes backup selectively?
1. Run Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery on your computer.
Install and open the software on your computer. Then, choose the Recover from iTunes Backup File mode from the left panel.
2. Choose an iTunes backup file.
The program will automatically detect the default iTunes backup location on your computer. Choose one backup file from the list and tap the Start Scan button. (Note: If you cannot find the wanted file, please tap the Select button below to pick the iTunes backup file from other customized folders.)
Next, check Notes and other data types you want to restore on the next screen and hit the Start Scan button.
3. Recover the lost notes to your computer.
Choose Notes or Note Attachments from the left side, tick off the desired notes after viewing the details, and tap the Recover to Computer button to store them on your computer.
You may like:
iCloud makes it easy for you to back up the iPhone content to the cloud server. If you have enabled the notes syncing option in Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Notes before iPhone notes disappear, you can easily restore notes from iCloud backup. Nevertheless, the restoring process may erase all the existing content and settings on your iPhone.
To restore notes from iCloud backup:
1. Open iPhone's Settings > tap General > select Reset > click the Erase All Content and Settings option > confirm the operation.
2. After resetting your device, it will automatically restart. Set up your iPhone with the on-screen directory. When you reach the Apps & Data screen, choose the Restore from the iCloud Backup option and pick the most recent backup file.
3. Tap the Restore button to get the notes back to your iPhone.
You can also restore the deleted notes from iTunes directly if you have made a backup of your iPhone before. Unlike the operation in Part 4, this way will overwrite the current data on your iPhone.
Follow the instructions below to restore lost notes on iPhone via iTunes:
1. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable.
2. When the computer recognizes your iPhone, it will display the iPhone icon in the iTunes window. Tap the iPhone icon > Summary > Restore Backup.
3. Wait until the restoring process is complete.
As mentioned in Part 2, Apple also enables you to store notes, contacts, and calendars to other email services apart from iCloud. If you have set up syncing notes to Yahoo, Gmail, or your other email account, you can restore notes from your email service provider.
How do I get my notes back on my iPhone?
1. Go to Settings > Mail > tap the email account to ensure that Notes is enabled.
2. If you have signed out or removed the email account, set up the account again and switch on the Notes option.
3. Open the Notes app to see whether the disappeared iPhone notes show up.
Sometimes, the disappeared notes may only get hidden among the overwhelming notes and attachments. Thus, to find out the missing notes in this situation, you can search notes inside the Notes app.
1. Open the Notes app and click the back icon.
2. In the Search bar, enter the keyword or title of the note you're seeking for.
3. Ensure that you have selected all accounts associated with Notes, and it will automatically scan the notes in each folder on all your accounts.
Tip: Don't want to lose iPhone notes again and wonder how to keep notes from disappearing on iPhone? Check here to learn five effective ways to back up your iPhone notes.
As you can see, it's not complicated to get back the missing iPhone notes. Now, you get to know five simple solutions to cope with the iPhone notes disappeared issue. You will easily find that Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery is the easiest way to recover lost notes on iPhone.
Unlike iCloud or iTunes, which will delete the existing iPhone data, nor the other three methods, which have a slim chance to find back the missing notes, it safely recovers the disappeared iPhone notes without data loss. Moreover, it also allows you to preview all the content. So, why not give it a try right now?