"My iPhone (XR, iOS 14) broke, and I got a new Android phone. How do I recover photos, videos, and text messages from my iPhone? I have another old iPhone that I can work with to recover all of this. Thank you!"
- Posted by Wnevarez in Apple Discussions
Recently, many people have asked online how to recover text messages from a broken iPhone. If you have paid attention to the Apple forum, you may find some, like:
"My iPhone broke. How can I read text messages?"
"iPhone is broken. How to retrieve texts?"
"I have a broken iPhone. How to get texts off it?"
It's not the end of the world when you accidentally break your iPhone. With the help of this tutorial, you will easily get back messages from your broken iPhone in minutes.
Part 1. Can You Recover Text Messages from a Broken iPhone?
Part 2. How to Retrieve Text Messages from Broken iPhone via Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery
Part 3. How to Check Messages on Broken iPhone without Backup via iPhone Message Recovery
Part 4. How to Retrieve Text Messages from Dead iPhone from iCloud Backup (Another iPhone Needed)
Part 5. How to Get Text Messages off a Broken iPhone from iTunes Backup
Part 6. How to Check Your Text Messages If Your iPhone Is Broken by Contacting Your Carrier in the US
Tips to Remember When Dropping or Breaking Your iPhone
The answer is yes. You will still have a chance to recover messages and other files from a broken iPhone. Generally, your messages will still exist in your iPhone after the screen gets smashes. Although they are inaccessible, you can get them back before new data overwrites them.
Thus, you need to stop using your iPhone, switch off the network connection, and power it off once the thorny issue happens. Next, try to find SMS back with one of the following methods.
Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery is the best way to get back messages and other files from your iPhone directly. If you have backed up your iPhone with iTunes previously, it will also retrieve messages and other data from the iTunes backup file even though your iPhone is broken.
The highlights of Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery:
* Restore contacts, messages, message attachments, notes, note attachments, calendars, photos, and other files from the iTunes backup file to your computer.
* Preview and select the wanted items to recover or back up.
* Easy, fast, and secure to use.
* No need to connect your iPhone.
* Support Windows 11/10/8/7/2003/2000/XP/Vista and all iPhone models (iOS 5 to iOS 16), such as iPhone 14/13 Pro Max/13 Pro/13/13 mini, etc.
How can I retrieve text messages from a broken iPhone selectively?
1. Install and run Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery on your computer and select Recover from iTunes Backup File mode on the left panel.
2. When it displays the iTunes backup record on the interface, select the most relevant one from the list and tap Start Scan. (Note: Click Select below to pick up from the customized folders if you cannot find the wanted iTunes backup file.)
3. Tick off Messages and SMS Attachments on the interface and hit Start Scan again to scan files.
After scanning, select Messages or SMS Attachments on the left window to preview all items and check whichever you want to restore. Later, click the Recover to Computer button to export them to your PC.
Suppose you happen not to back up your iPhone before it gets cracked. In that case, iPhone Message Recovery will help you find your messages back from your iPhone directly. What's more, you can also recover messages and attachments from social platforms, like WhatsApp, Kik, Line, Viber, and Facebook Messenger.
The key features of iPhone Message Recovery:
* Directly recover lost text messages, iMessages, WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger/Kik/Viber/Line message, and attachments from your iPhone or iTunes/iCloud backup.
* Preview the messages and choose whatever you want to recover.
* More than screen smashes, it also applies to other scenarios, such as accidental deletion, water damage, system crash, iOS update failure, lost/stolen/disabled iPhone, etc.
* Work well with all most iPhone models (iOS 16 included), like iPhone 14/13/13 mini/13 Pro (Max)/12 Pro (Max)/12/12 mini//SE/11 Pro Max/11 Pro/11/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6, etc.
How can I recover data from a broken iPhone without backup?
1. Run the app after installing it on the computer. Next, select the Recover from iOS Device tab from the left side and plug your broken iPhone into the computer using a USB cable.
2. Tap Start Scan to scan the iPhone data. After scanning, it will display all iPhone files in different groups on the interface.
3. Click Messages or Message Attachments on the left sidebar to view all the deleted and existing iPhone messages. After that, check the messages you wish to recover and hit the Recover button to save them to your computer in CSV or HTML format.
You may like:
Assume you automatically back up your iPhone to iCloud before. You can retrieve text messages from iCloud backup on a working iPhone.
How to retrieve text messages from a lost iPhone via iCloud backup?
1. Sign in with the same Apple ID and password on another iPhone.
2. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings and confirm with your screen passcode.
3. After erasing your iPhone, set it up with the on-screen instructions. When you reach the Apps & Data screen, select Restore from iCloud Backup and pick the most recent backup file containing SMS.
4. Tap Restore to start restoring the backup to your new iPhone.
What if your iPad fail to restore via iTunes? How can you fix it?
This guide will help you back up and restore iPhone data with Google Drive.
This method only works if you have made a backup of your iPhone with iTunes and have another iDevice. Note that the syncing process will overwrite the current data on your iPhone.
If you don't mind, refer to the following steps.
1. Connect another iDevice to the computer and open iTunes if it does not launch automatically.
2. Tap the iDevice icon when it appears in the iTunes window and select Summary on the left side.
3. Click Restore Backup under Backups and pick the most relevant backup file in the popup.
4. Hit Restore to start syncing it to your new iDevice.
Guess you need:
Which is the best app to back up iPhone contacts? Let's check their pros and cons.
Failed to transfer your iMessages to another iPhone? With the help of these tricks, you can solve this problem without effort.
The last resort to getting back text messages from the broken iPhone is contacting your service provider. The success rate may depend. However, some of them have a copy of your text messages. So, I recommend you try this method if nothing else works.
When accidentally dropping or breaking your iPhone to the ground, your first need is to confirm the iPhone's condition. Lucky enough, it will still be usable unless some scratches on the surface.
If your iPhone is badly damaged with an unresponsive screen, you will have to replace the screen with a new one and check the inner components. In this case, we don't suggest you do it yourself. Before repair, you can back up your iPhone with a broken screen to avoid data loss. Then, carry it to the nearest Apple Store or any professional iPhone maintenance center to get it repaired.
That's how to recover text messages from broken iPhone with or without backup. I highly recommend you try Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery to restore messages from the iTunes backup file without overwriting your device data or use iPhone Message Backup to recover messages from the broken iPhone directly. Both are easy and secure to use and won't cause further data loss.
If you have anything to let us know, leave a comment below.