4 Easy Ways to Restore iPad without iTunes You Need to Know (New Discovery in 2020)
"I have a 4th generation of iPad that I haven't used for so long that I forgot the PIN. I want to restore it to factory defaults as I plan to use it again. But everything I am finding on this topic suggests that I need to use iTunes on a computer to accomplish this. Is this actually the case? Can't I use a combination of buttons to restore it to the factory reset?"
I browsed this request from StackExchange.com last Friday, then I realized that many people may not know how to restore iPad without iTunes. As a matter of fact, there are so many ways to restore iPad to the factory settings, if you do not want to use iTunes, you can select one way from below to reset iPad without iTunes.
Part 1. When Should We Restore iPad?
Part 2. How to Restore iPad without iTunes?
2.1 How to Restore iPad without iTunes Using Coolmuster iOS Eraser (Recommended)
2.2 How to Reset iPad via Factory Settings without iTunes
2.3 How to Restore iPad without iTunes for Free with iCloud
2.4 How to Reset iPad without iTunes from Settings Panel on iPad
Usually, if your iPad works normally, you do not need to restore iPad, since this operation may easily cause data loss on iPad. However, when you encounter any of the following scenarios, you may need to restore iPad:
- The iPad keeps freezing and irresponsive no matter you do any operations on it.
- The iPad acts weirdly, runs slow or has virus when it failed to update the iOS version.
- The iPad has been disabled, locked or developed a black or blue screen.
- You want to sell, donate or recycle the iPad to someone else or some organizations.
- Some incompatible apps on iPad slow down its performance.
- You want to clear the personal data on iPad for a brand new use.
If your iPad has just trapped into one of these scenarios, then the following 4 simple ways below can help you restore iPad without iTunes.
For various reasons, you may be not willing to restore iPad with iTunes. Actually, so many ways are capable of restoring iPad without iTunes. If you know nothing about this, you can refer to the tutorial below.
Coolmuster iOS Eraser is a professional app to restore iPad without iTunes. Using it, you can permanently erase photos, music, videos, contacts, SMS, call logs, apps, app data, reminders, calendars, bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, voice memos, notes, and iCloud & iTunes account settings from your iDevices without restoration. And resetting iPad without iTunes is done with only two steps - deleting and overwriting data.
Specifically, there are 3 security levels for restoring iPad - low, medium and high levels. The low level enables you to quickly erase iPad/iPhone/iPod data in seconds, the medium level wipes out all data and uses junk data to overwrite the deleted data on iPad, and the high level overwrites all data twice after deleting all content from iPad, which completely protects your privacy from illegally obtaining by others.
What's more, Coolmuster iOS Eraser is easy to use, totally read-only and highly secure without modifying, keeping or disclosing any data from your iPad. Besides, it supports all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, such as iPad Pro, iPad mini 4/mini 3/mini 2/mini, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad with Retina display, iPad Air 2/Air, The New iPad, iPad 4/2/iPad, etc.
Let's see how to restore iPad without iTunes or passcode.
1. On your computer, launch Coolmuster iOS Eraser after installation, and you will see the primary interface as below.
2. Connect your iPad to computer via a USB cable, unlock your iPad and tap Trust option on your iPad when Trust This Computer window pops up. Next, click Continue on this program to move on. Then, the program will automatically detect your device. Once done, you will see the main interface as below.
3. How to reset iPad without iTunes: Click the Erase button from the main interface > Choose the Security level for erasing > Tap OK > Type delete into the blank > Click Erase button below > Hit OK to confirm your choice.
After that, the program will start restoring your iPad. And then, your iPad will automatically reboot when the erasing process is complete. When your iPad reboots, unlock your device and click Try Again on this program to reconnect your iPad.
4. Finally, the program will continue to overwrite your iPad data. When the whole process is over, your iPad will be completely clean.
You can also factory reset iPad without iTunes or passcode. Before you start resetting iPad without iTunes, make sure that there is enough charge to finish the whole process.
Here is how:
1. Power off your iPad, then press and hold the Home + Volume up/down buttons at the same time. On some iPad versions, the combination of buttons are: Power + Volume up/down buttons.
2. Continue holding the keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
3. Release all buttons and wait for the iPad to restart.
1. On your iPad, go to Settings > Your Apple ID > iCloud > Find My iPad and turn it on.
2. Visit iCloud.com on your computer and sign in with the same Apple ID and password.
3. Click Find My iPad section > Tap All Devices on the top of the screen > Select the iPad you need to restore > Hit Erase iPad > Confirm your choice.
Finally, if you are now able to access your iPad, you can also restore iPad without iTunes for free from its Settings panel.
To learn how to restore iPad without iTunes or computer, you can follow these steps:
Notes: Make sure that your iPad has at least 50% charge before you start. You can connect it to a power source.
1. Click Settings on your iPad > Scroll down to select General > Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
2. If your iPad has a password, then a pop-up window will appear and ask you to enter the password or Apple ID. After that, it will start to restore your iPad to its factory settings.
3. Once finished, your iPad will restart automatically in several minutes. You can set up your iPad as a new one.
Note that no matter which way you select, restoring iPad without iTunes will erase all data on iPad. Therefore, you are recommended to back up iPad before you reset it. You can refer to the tutorial of how to back up iPad provided in the first way to make a backup of iPad.
It's wise of you to restore iPad without iTunes when the iPad runs abnormally or before selling to end the endless pain brought by iTunes. If you are not sure which is the best way, I highly recommend you to try Coolmuster iOS Eraser, which is pretty easy to use, read-only, fast and totally secure to protect your privacy from disclosure.
If you encounter any difficulty during use, feel free to let us know by leaving a comment below.