How to Install APK on Android from PC [Top 3 Ways]
APK (short for Android Package Kit) is what Android systems use for installing applications. Though there are millions of apps on the Google Play Store for you to choose from, there are times you may want to install an app from other sites. Perhaps the app you are looking for is outdated, or it isn't available in your country. In that case, you need to download the APK file to your PC first and then put it onto your phone. So here comes the question: How to install APK on Android from PC? Well, one of the good things about Android phones is their flexibility. You are able to transfer APK from PC to Android easily. Here, we will show you the top 3 ways to get the job done.
Part 1: How to Install APK on Android from PC with Coolmuster Android Assistant (Easiest)
Part 2: How to Install an APK File on Android from PC via USB
Part 3: How to Transfer APK from PC to Android via ADB
Speaking of how to transfer APK file from PC to Android phone easily and directly, Coolmuster Android Assistant is the tool you need. It is a powerful data managing software that enables you to transfer APK files, photos, videos, music, contacts, call logs, text messages, etc., from computer to Android without hassle.
Key features of Coolmuster Android Assistant:
- Manage Android Apps: Install apps from PC to Android, export apps from Android to PC, uninstall Android apps from PC.
- Back up and Restore Android: One-click back up overall Android files to computer, restore backup to any Android device freely.
- Transfer between Computer and Android: Transfer SMS, contacts, videos, photos, apps, music, etc., between computer and Android.
- Send Text Messages on PC: You can send, reply, forward SMS, and view text messages on computer for Android phone.
- Wide Compatibility: Works well on Android brands like Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Motorola, OnePlus, etc. Fully supports Android 10.
Download Coolmuster Android Assistant to give it a try.
How to install an APK file on Android from PC using Coolmuster Android Assistant:
Step 1: Download Coolmuster Android Assistant on PC
Download and install Coolmuster Android Assistant on your computer, open it and click Android Assistant.
Step 2: Connect Android to PC
Connect your Android phone to computer using a USB cable, then follow the instructions on the screen to get your phone connected. When the software detects your device, you can see the interface like below:
Step 3: Install APK file to Android
Click App from the left sidebar and then click the Install button from the top, select the APK file from the computer and then click Open to put it to your Android phone.
Read more: Is it feasible to move applications to an SD card on your Huawei device? This guide will tell you the way.
By default, your Android phone doesn't allow you to install an APK file outside of the Google Play Store. But you can grant the permission on your Android phone via the Settings app. Then you will be able to install APK from PC via USB.
After transferring the APK file from computer to Android, you will need to find the APK using the File Manager app (It may be called My Files, Files or File Browser). This app is usually pre-installed on your Android. If you don't have one, you can download a free file manager from the Google Play Store, such as EZ File Explorer, Cx File Explorer.
Here are the instructions on how to install an APK on Android from computer:
Step 1: Download the APK file from a trusted website; you can save it to the desktop on your computer so you can find it easily.
Step 2: On your Android, open Settings > Apps > tap the menu icon > Special access > enable Install Unknown Apps.
If your phone runs Android Nougat, the steps are: Settings > Security/Lock Screen and Security > find the Device Administration section > enable Unknown Sources.
Step 3: Connect Android phone to computer using a USB cable. On your Android, choose the USB options as MTP.
Step 4: Now head to the APK file on your computer, right-click it and select Send to > Select your Android device. Then the APK will begin to transfer to your phone.
Step 5: After the transferring, open the file manager on your Android.
Step 6: Find the APK file that transferred from your computer and tap Install. The app will install on your Android. After the installation, click Done to confirm.
You can also use ADB commands to install APK on Android from PC. ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge, it is a tool that lets you perform various tasks on your Android from a computer. Besides installing APK from PC, you can also use ADB tools to uninstall an app, unlock Android without password, reboot Android into the recovery mode, etc.
Learn how to transfer APK from PC to Android using ADB:
Step 1: Download Android Debug Bridge on your computer
Firstly, click here and download the right SDK Platform-tools according to your computer's operating system.
Step 2: Enable the USB debugging on your Android
- Open the Settings app > Tap About phone > tap the Build number for seven times.
- Then go back to Settings, and you will see the Developer options, tap it.
- Turn on USB debugging.
Click here for more details: How to Enable USB Debugging on Android Device?
Step 3: Connect your Android to PC and set up ADB
Connect your Android phone to computer using a USB cable and set the USB option as data transfer. After this, complete the steps below to set up the ADB tool.
- Open the downloaded ADB folder.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click anywhere on your screen.
- Select Open a command window here.
- In the pop-up window, type the command: adb devices to check whether the computer recognizes your device.
- Open Terminal > enter cd > press the Spacebar.
- Copy the ADB folder and paste it onto the Terminal window > press Enter.
- In the Terminal window, type ./adb devices > press Enter. It will show the list of devices attached.
Step 4: Start to install
Now you can install the APK file from your computer to Android:
- Type the command adb install
to install the app to your Android. The "app name" refers to the app's actual name that you are going to install, for example, "whatsapp.apk".
- If it shows success, the app is installed on your device.
- Type ./adb install > press Spacebar.
- Head to the APK file you want to install, drag and drop it onto the Terminal window.
- Press Enter to start to install.
You can see whether the app is installed on your Android by checking the app drawer.
That's all for the three ways on how to install APK files from PC to Android. Compared to the other two ways, Coolmuster Android Assistant is more straightforward and efficient. Using this tool, you can put an APK file on Android from PC with 3 steps. No technical skills are required; everyone can handle it without trouble. Moreover, this software can handle other files too, such as SMS, contacts, photos, videos, music, and more. Don't be hesitate to give it a try. If there are any problems, you can leave a comment below and we will help you out soon.