"I have been having issues with iCloud when I add new contacts to my phone. It doesn't update in iCloud. I figure it has something to do with iCloud's trying to back up everything on my phone. But I only need the contacts to sync on iCloud. Is there a way to isolate an iCloud backup so that just the contacts are stored? Or would I have to manually upload the vCard files one by one into my account?"
- Apple Support Community
Contacts are one of the most important files on your iPhone. So, it is always a good habit to back up iPhone contacts to iCloud to avoid data loss or before switching to a new iPhone. It's not hard for an old iPhone user to sync contacts from iPhone to iCloud. However, if you are a newcomer, check the following content to learn how to back up iPhone contacts to iCloud directly.
Part 1. How to Back Up Contacts from iPhone to iCloud Automatically?
Part 2. How to Back Up Contacts to iCloud from iPhone Manually?
Part 3. How to Restore Contacts from iCloud Backup?
Part 4. How to Selectively Back Up iPhone Contacts to a Computer?
The steps below show you how to back up contacts to iCloud from an iPhone automatically. Before starting the backup, you need to make certain preparations:
Now, follow the step-by-step instructions to automatically save your iPhone contacts to iCloud.
1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone and tap your name.
2. Choose iCloud > turn on Contacts.
3. Select the Merge option if a window pops up and asks you to deal with the existing local contacts.
Later, it will automatically sync your iPhone contacts to iCloud.
If you can't wait to back up contacts to iCloud from your iPhone, you can manually complete the contacts backup to iCloud with these steps.
How to back up your iPhone contacts to iCloud manually?
1. Head over to the Settings app on your iPhone > click your profile > select iCloud.
2. Tap iCloud Backup > switch on iCloud Backup.
3. Hit the Back Up Now option below to start backing up your iPhone. When the last backup time updates, you're done!
Want to access and restore the iCloud backup? iCloud can also help you retrieve the available information you need. Here's how.
1. Open iCloud.com from a computer browser and sign in with the same Apple ID and password you use to back up your iPhone contacts.
2. Tap the Contacts tab and view all the contact lists. You can also add information, modify the job title, or something like that.
3. Tap the gear icon at the lower-left corner > click the Export vCard option > pick the contacts you want to download. Then follow the on-screen prompts to save them to your computer.
Apart from saving iPhone contacts to iCloud, you can also back up your iPhone contacts to a computer. Coolmuster iOS Assistant is the easiest way to back up your iPhone contacts and many other files to a computer in readable formats. Moreover, you can also manage the iPhone data on the computer and restore the backups to a new iPhone.
The highlights of Coolmuster iOS Assistant:
* Preview and export desired contacts from an iPhone to a computer in readable formats like CSV, XML, and vCard.
* Import contacts from the computer to iPhone.
* One-click to back up everything from iPhone to the computer and restore the backup to a new iPhone.
* Edit, delete, and add contacts on the computer in batches.
* Work with iPhone 14/SE (3rd generation)/13 Pro Max/13 Pro/13/13 mini/12/11 and earlier iPhone models running iOS 5 to iOS 16.
How to back up iPhone contacts to a computer?
Note: Before continuing, ensure that iTunes or Music can detect your iPhone, or the program will fail to detect it.
1. Install and open the software on your computer.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable and hit Trust on your iPhone if asked. When connected, you will see the home interface below.
3. Choose Contacts on the left panel, preview all the contact lists, and check the desired contacts to back up. After that, click the Export button on the top to save them to your computer.
You may like:
To sum up, that's how to back up iPhone contacts to iCloud. You can back up contacts to iCloud from your iPhone without selection via the above two methods or use Coolmuster iOS Assistant to sync the only wanted contacts to a computer. All of them are easy to handle, but the last method consumes no cloud storage and allows you to preview the contacts. It is much more user-friendly to use.