Part 1. What Is DFU Mode on iPhone/iPad?
Part 2. How to Put iPhone/iPad in DFU Mode?
Part 3. How to Exit DFU Mode?
You may have previously heard DFU mode many times on various occasions. But, what is DFU mode on iPad/iPhone on earth? iOS DFU mode, or the Device Firmware Update on iPhone or iPad, is a special mode that enables your device to communicate with iTunes, update the firmware, and restore the operating system automatically without installing iTunes.
When entering DFU mode, users can downgrade their devices to an older version of iOS, jailbreak the iPhone/iPad, un-jailbreak the iPhone/iPad, delete the iOS or iPadOS beta version, and reboot the iPhone or iPad stably.
Although iPhone/iPad DFU mode puts your devices into a recovery-similar mode, it is different from the recovery mode. DFU is a far more comprehensive mode that fixes more challenging iOS system issues and makes fewer changes to the firmware. Besides, the iPhone DFU mode will turn your device on but not yet boot it into iOS.
Well, you may also wonder what the firmware is. As the name shows, firmware is the software between the hardware and iOS operating system and provides low-level control of a device's hardware, such as the ROM, EPROM, Flash memory, etc.
How to Fix the iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo Issue?
App Store on an iOS Device Keeps Asking for Password? 11 Fixes
The methods for putting your device in DFU mode vary from device to device because some iPhone/iPad models have a mechanical Home button while some do not. Therefore, we will illustrate how to get into DFU mode on different device models in this part. If you stuck in the DFU mode, don't worry, here are 3 ways to fix iPhone stuck in DFU mode without data lost.
The following steps go for iPhone 12/11/XS/XR/X/SE (2nd generation)/8/8 Plus:
1. Plug your iPhone into the computer that runs the latest version of iTunes, and power your iPhone off.
2. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
3. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
4. Press and hold the Side button until the screen goes black.
5. Press and hold the Side + Volume Down buttons for 5 seconds or so. After that, release the Side button but continue holding the Volume Down button for a while.
When iTunes on your computer alerts you the iPhone has entered into recovery mode, click OK to restore your iPhone.
Note: These steps also answer how to put iPhone X in DFU mode.
If you are using an iPhone 7 Plus/7 and want to put iPhone 7 Plus/7 into DFU mode, you can refer to these steps.
How to go into DFU mode on iPhone 7/7 Plus?
1. Power off your iPhone 7/7 Plus and plug it into your computer with a USB cable. Ensure that you have installed the latest version of iTunes on the computer.
2. Press and hold the Side + Volume Down buttons for 10 seconds and then release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button.
3. When iTunes pops up a message, that reads "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.", release the button and tap OK.
You might need: Your iPhone location is wrong? If you want to fix it, you can follow this guide.
iPhone 6s is the last iPhone model with a Home button, which is released in 2015. Similarly, some iPad and iPod touch models also have the Home button. Thus, how to put iPad mini 4 in DFU mode? How to enter DFU mode on iPad Air? or how to put iPad into DFU mode?
Suppose that you have the same queries. In this case, the following instructions may be helpful to you.
1. Connect your iDevice to the computer via a USB cable and run iTunes or Finder.
2. Power off your iDevice if you don't already.
3. Press and hold the Home + Lock button for 8 seconds. Later, release the Lock button but continue holding the Home button until iTunes says your iDevice has got into the recovery mode.
If you have activated the Face ID on your iPad Pro, you can force the iPad Pro into DFU mode with the steps below.
1. Connect your iPad Pro with the Face ID to your computer that runs the latest version of iTunes or Finder.
2. Make sure that you have powered your iPad off.
3. Press and hold the Side button until the screen goes black. At this moment, keep holding the Side button while pressing and holding the Volume Down button for 10 seconds.
4. Release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button for another 5 seconds.
5. If you see a popup in iTunes or Finder noticing you the device has entered into recovery mode, you're done!
Note: During DFU mode, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch should go black, and nothing will display on the screen. If the Apple logo appears on the screen, you may have held down the Side or Lock button for too long.
What if you unnecessarily boot your iPhone or iPad into the DFU mode? Now, you know how to get iPhone to DFU mode. You can exit DFU mode by force restarting your device.
For iPhone 8/8 Plus/X or later: Press and release the Volume Up button, and press and release the Volume Down button. Later, press and hold the Side button until your device starts to reboot.
For iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold the Side + Volume Down buttons until your device reboots automatically.
For iPhone 6/6s/SE, iPad, and iPod touch: Press and hold the Home + Lock buttons until it restarts automatically.
Entering DFU mode is quite a useful way to solve some system glitches or bugs. In this post, you have already mastered how to put iPhone into DFU mode on different models. You can follow our instructions to get it done successfully.
If you encounter any difficulty during the process, please contact us by sending an email at email@example.com or leaving a comment below.
iPhone White Screen of Death? 4 Ways to Fix It
iPhone Blue Screen of Death? Here are 7 Easy Ways to Fix
How to Fix iTunes Error 13014? [9 Methods]
How to Fix the Problem iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone? (6 Effective Solutions)
How to Control iPhone with Broken Screen Effortlessly? (6 Proven Ways)