iCloud is a great way to wirelessly back up photos, text messages, iMessages, contacts, notes, calendars, reminders, purchased music/videos, and more files from your iPhone. As you can access the iCloud data on any of your iOS devices anytime, many people regularly free up the iPhone storage by deleting old messages and other files from their iPhones. If you want to check iCloud messages after losing them from the iPhone's local storage, you can refer to the solutions below.
"Are text messages stored in iCloud?" "Does iCloud backup texts?" "And can you see iMessages on iCloud?" These are some frequently asked questions by many of our users. To figure these questions out, we test iCloud a lot. Here are the answers.
A: When you head to iCloud from iPhone's Settings, you will see some options that you can sync to iCloud, like photos, mail, contacts, calendars, notes, messages, Safari, etc. So, the messages are indeed saved in iCloud, no matter iMessages, text messages, SMS, or MMS.
A: Yes. iCloud backs up messages/iMessages from your iPhone to protect your important data from losing. For iOS 11.4 and later versions, you can go to your iPhone's Settings > tap your Apple ID > iCloud > enable the Messages option to back up the messages/iMessages; for iOS 11.3 and earlier versions, you can open Settings > iCloud > Backup > turn on the iCloud Backup option to enable automatic backup, or tap the Back Up Now button to back it up immediately.
A: Usually, iCloud stores iMessages, SMS, and MMS messages from your iPhone to the iCloud storage and allows you to view them on your iPad, iPhone, Mac, and other iOS devices.
However, checking iPhone messages online is different from reading photos, notes, reminders, contacts, and other files. You can view other files directly on iCloud.com except for messages. Luckily, you can view text messages on iCloud in the following two ways.
Although you cannot view text messages online, you can check it after restoring it from iCloud to your device. This part teaches you how to get text messages from iCloud directly to your iPhone or the computer.
Provided that you have synced the messages to your iCloud account, you can easily restore them from iCloud to your iPhone. To use this way, you have to erase all iPhone content first. Thus, to avoid any data loss, you'd better back up everything on your iPhone before you start to repeat the following steps:
1. Unlock your iPhone, open Settings > General > Reset > Click Erase All Content and Settings. This will remove all data and device settings from your iPhone and lead you to the Setup screen.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to set up your device until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
3. How to find messages on iCloud. Select Restore from iCloud Backup, log in to iCloud by entering your Apple ID and password that you used to back up messages. Finally, choose the most recent messages backup from the list and restore it to your device.
Once done, the messages will be restored to the Message app.
Another way to retrieve and view text messages on iCloud is using iCloud Messages Recovery. This professional data recovery tool enables you to recover lost text messages, iMessages, photos, contacts, WhatsApp/Kik/Line/Viber/Facebook data, and more files from iPhone, iTunes, and iCloud on a computer safely and easily. Besides, you can preview all data on it before restoring. It's indeed a convenient assistant.
Here are the main features of iCloud Messages Recovery:
* Recover lost data from any iOS devices, including iPhone 14/13/12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/SE/11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6/6 Plus/5S/5C/5/4S/4, etc.
* Preview iTunes backup files before restoring them to your PC or Mac.
* Restore lost data from iCloud backup with your iCloud account.
* Support to recover contacts, text messages, iMessages, call logs, photos, videos, calendars, notes, reminders, Safari bookmarks, Safari history, voice memos, voicemails, app photos, app videos, app documents, and WhatsApp/Kik/Line/Viber/Facebook data.
* Recover or restore data under many scenarios, such as accidental deletion, no backup of iPhone, water damage, busted parts, lost iPhone, system problem, forgot the passcode, device stuck, etc.
* Available on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and macOS X 10.7 and higher versions.
How to view iMessages/messages on iCloud?
1. Install iCloud Messages Recovery on your computer and sign in with your iCloud account.
Install this program on your computer, launch it and click Recover from iCloud Backup File from the left panel. Next, sign in with the same iCloud account that you used for backup.
2. Choose the backup file to download.
Select the latest backup record from the list and tap the Download button next to it. Then, choose the data types you want to restore from the pop-up window, and tap Next to download the iCloud backup file.
3. How to view iMessages/messages on iCloud and restore them to your computer.
After downloading iCloud backup, the program will scan the data. Once finished, you will see all the iCloud contents on this program. Select Messages from the left window, preview the messages/iMessages and check the items you want to restore. After that, you can hit the Recover button below to restore the selected messages or iMessages from iCloud backup to your computer.
That's how to read text messages on iCloud. For new iPhone users, they may wonder how to keep all messages in iCloud.
1. Navigate to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap your Apple ID > iCloud > Scroll to Messages under Apps using iCloud > Toggle on Messages.
Learn more: How to Back up Messages on iPhone
You won't be anxious if you accidentally deleted important messages from your iPhone. As long as you backed up messages to iCloud, you can retrieve and view text messages on iCloud anytime. iPhone Messages Recovery is an ideal way for you to view the messages and its details and selectively restore the wanted ones from iCloud. In contrast, the other way may not be very user-friendly since it restores all data to your iPhone, and you can only view text messages after restoring them. It's not difficult to make the selection.
If you find this post helpful, please share it with your friends.