I also don't think I have any backups available on my computer recently. Is there any way of using the pieces of my old phone to recover my photos somehow? Thanks!"
- Excerpted from Apple Discussion
Suppose that, for some reason, your iPhone has been dead without turning on or recognizing by a computer. In that case, can you retrieve photos from a dead iPhone? Absolutely. You can easily restore pictures from a dead iPhone if you have previously backed up your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud. However, if you forget to create a backup file but your iPhone is still detectable by a computer, you can also find them back.
Let's check how to get pictures from a dead iPhone in four possible solutions.
Part 1. Can I Retrieve Photos from a Dead iPhone?
Part 2. How to Recover Photos from Dead iPhone via Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery (Selective)
Part 3. How to Get Pictures from a Dead iPhone with iTunes Backup (Another iPhone Required)
Part 4. How to Extract Photos from Dead iPhone via iCloud Backup (Another iPhone Required)
Part 5. How to Recover Pictures from Dead iPhone without Backup
Yes. You can recover photos from a dead iPhone via an iCloud or iTunes backup file if there is one. Suppose you don't back up your iPhone data before it is dead, but the dead iPhone is still recognizable by your computer. In that case, you can use a third-party iPhone photo recovery program to fix the iPhone and export the photos from it directly.
If you have ever made a backup of your iPhone before it gets dead, you can retrieve photos from the dead iPhone with Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery. Compared with iTunes way of restoring photos from the backup file, it won't cause data loss during recovery, and you don't need to connect your dead iPhone to the computer. What's more, you can preview and choose the specific photos you want to recover.
The highlights of Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery:
* Automatically detect the iTunes backup files you have made on the computer.
* Restore both deleted and existing photos from the iTunes backup file to your computer.
* Recover the existing photos from your iPhone to a computer directly.
* Preview all photos in thumbnails and select the desired pictures to recover or export.
* Keep the original photo quality and format without damage.
* Support all iPhone models (iOS 16 included), such as iPhone 14/13/12 Pro Max/12 Pro/12/12 mini/SE/11 Pro Max/11 Pro/11/XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7 Plus/7/6S Plus/6S/6 Plus/6, etc.
How to extract photos from a dead iPhone wirelessly?
1. Download and run Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery.
After installing the iPhone photo recovery software on your computer, please open it and choose the Recover from iTunes Backup File mode from the left panel.
2. Choose the proper iTunes backup file.
It will automatically detect the default iTunes backup location on the computer. Once detected, pick a backup file of your dead iPhone from the list and tap the Start Scan button. If you cannot find the wanted backup file, please click the Select button at the bottom to choose the iTunes backup file from the customized folder.
3. Recover photos from dead iPhone wirelessly.
Pick Photos and other file types you wish to recover and tap the Start Scan button to scan the items under the categories. After scanning, click the Photos tab under Media, view the photo details, and check the wanted photos. Finally, hit the Recover to Computer button to save the photos to your computer in a readable format.
As we mentioned above, this way will overwrite all the existing data on the target iPhone. However, if you have made an iTunes backup file of the dead iPhone earlier but don't want to install the third-party program, you can restore pictures from the dead iPhone backup file via iTunes. To complete the recovery smoothly, you need a new iPhone that is detectable by iTunes.
1. Ensure that you have installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Next, connect your new iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.
2. iTunes will recognize your new iPhone after trusting the computer on the new device. When the iPhone icon appears in the iTunes window, tap it and select Summary from the left window.
3. Hit the Restore Backup button from the right window, select the latest backup file, and click the Restore button to start the syncing process.
There are two ways to recover the photos from iCloud backup - downloading from iCloud.com or using another iPhone. You can only use this way if you have enabled the automatic syncing of photos to iCloud on the dead iPhone beforehand. In this part, to make the process simpler, we will introduce how to get pictures from a dead iPhone via iCloud.com.
1. Open iCloud.com on a browser from other devices and enter the same Apple ID you use on the dead iPhone to sign in.
2. Choose the Photos tab, select the photos you wish to restore, and download them to your device.
Assume you forget to back up your iPhone before it's dead, but your iPhone is still recognizable by the computer. You can directly export the existing photos from the dead iPhone with the help of a computer and the tool Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery.
In Part 2, you have mastered how to recover photos from a dead iPhone via the Recover from iTunes Backup File mode of the app. Here, you will acquire how to get photos off the dead iPhone directly. Still, you can preview all photos before recovery.
To recover photos from the dead iPhone directly:
Note: If the program cannot detect your device, use the iOS System Recovery tool to fix the black screen of death on the iPhone first.
1. Connect your iPhone to the computer.
Install and launch Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery on your computer. Next, choose the iOS Recovery module on the screen and plug your iPhone into the computer via a USB cable. (If you have connected your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable before, the program may detect your dead iPhone.)
2. Preview and select the iPhone photos.
Once connected, it will show the data types you can recover or export. Please mark Photos or Camera Roll and hit the Start Scan button to scan all the images. After scanning, pick Photos or Camera Roll from the left window and preview the photos in thumbnails.
3. Start to recover photos from the dead iPhone directly.
After choosing the necessary photos, hit the Recover to Computer button to export the selected photos to your computer.
You may like:
1. How to recover data from iPhone that won't turn on?
What if you break the iPhone, and it can be powered on in no case? Don't worry. You can refer to this post to recover data from an iPhone that won't turn on,
2. How to back up data on a dead/broken iPhone?
Many options can help you quickly back up a dead or broken iPhone, like iTunes, iCloud, a third-party iPhone backup tool, etc. As for which way is suitable for you, it depends on whether you have previously trusted the computer on your iPhone or not. Explore the step-by-step guide of how to back up an iPhone with a broken screen to learn more.
Hurry up picking one method to recover photos from a dead iPhone now! Have difficulty in making a choice? Well, you can choose Coolmuster iPhone Data Recovery. It retrieves photos from the iTunes backup file without connecting your dead iPhone to the computer. It also exports the existing photos from the dead iPhone directly if you have trusted the computer before.
Whereas restoring photos from iTunes and iCloud may need another iPhone or erase data on the new iPhone, let alone you have no available iPhone. Thus, to avoid further trouble, it's best to choose the former method.