"Hi, I have deleted all the pictures from my iPhone, and I also deleted them from 'deleted pictures'. I have an iCloud backup from November, about 10GB in total. I had about 7000 pictures. My question then: is this backup includes all the pictures, or if it only contains metadata that is no longer possible to get back as long as the pictures are deleted from iCloud? Hope that was understandable. Thanks for all the answers."
- A user in iMore forums
If you also wonder how to recover photos from iCloud, you can browse this post. It has displayed FAQs and useful solutions about the topic.
Part 1. FAQs on iCloud Photo Recovery
Part 2. How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iCloud Selectively via iPhone Photo Recovery
Part 3. How to Get Photos Back from Recently Deleted Folder
Part 4. How to Recover Deleted Photos from iCloud Web Version
Part 5. How to Retrieve Deleted Photos from iCloud by Reset
Part 6. How to Restore Photos from iCloud on PC or Mac
1. How do I know whether I have backed up my photos to iCloud before?
To check the iCloud backup on your iPhone:
For iOS 11 or later versions: Open Settings > tap your name > select iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
For iOS 10.3 and other versions: Go to Settings > tap your name > iCloud > click the graph that displays your iCloud usage > tap Manage Storage.
2. Why did photos disappear from my iPhone?
Many factors may cause photos missing from your iPhone, like:
3. Is it possible to recover deleted photos?
Yes, probably. When you delete a photo from your iPhone, it will still exist in the database until new data occupies its space and overwrites it. Therefore, you can recover the deleted photos from your iPhone directly with a professional data recovery program before the new files overwrite them. Or, you can restore photos from iCloud backup if you have turned on iCloud Photos previously.
See also: Want to move your music from your iPod to a new computer? Here is a full guide for your reference.
How to get deleted photos from iCloud? Of course, you can retrieve them from the iCloud website if you have synced the device pictures to your Apple account. But if you wish to get off photos from your iCloud backup selectively, you must select iPhone Photo Recovery. More than photos, it also allows you to recover other deleted files, like contacts, notes, etc., from iTunes, iCloud, and the iPhone directly.
The key features of iPhone Photo Recovery:
* Safely restore the lost photos, contacts, videos, and other data from iCloud/iTunes backup.
* Recover lost data from the iPhone without backup in one click, including photos, videos, etc.
* Preview all the content and select only the wanted files to recover.
* Work with different data loss scenarios: accidental deletion, system crash, iOS upgrade failure, lost/stolen/disabled iPhone, water damage, screen smashes, etc.
* The highest speed and success rate.
* Support all iPhone models (iOS 15 included), Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, and macOS X 10.7 or higher.
How to get permanently deleted photos back from iCloud?
1. Download and run iPhone Photo Recovery on your computer and choose the Recover from iCloud Backup File mode on the left panel. Next, log in with the same Apple ID and password you used for backup.
2. Choose the iCloud backup file you want to restore from the list and tap the Download button.
3. Once downloaded, click Photo Library or Camera Roll on the left window, preview and tick the photos you wish to restore and hit the Recover button to save them to your computer.
Does iCloud save deleted photos? Yes. Suppose you accidentally deleted pictures in the last few days. In that case, you can get them back from iCloud's Recently Deleted folder.
1. Open iCloud.com from a browser and sign in with the same Apple ID and password you used on your iPhone.
2. Choose the Photos tab > Recently Deleted and view the deleted photos.
3. Select the photos you want to restore and hit the Recover button at the upper-right corner.
You can also restore photos from iCloud.com if you have previously backed them up.
Here's how to recover pictures from the iCloud web version.
1. Visit icloud.com from any browser and sign in with your Apple ID and password. If you enable the two-step authentication on your iPhone, click Allow on the device and provide the 6-digit passcode.
2. Choose Photos > Albums > All Photos and find the desired photos.
3. Tap the photo you wish to restore and hit the Download button to save them to the device.
You might like: With these 5 approaches, you can effectively retrieve text messages from your iPad.
Assume you have turned on the iCloud Photo Library option from Settings on your iPhone. You can restore photos from iCloud backup to your iPhone. But you will need to erase the device data and settings first.
How to recover old photos from iCloud on your iPhone?
1. Go to the iPhone's Settings > iCloud > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings and confirm with your password.
2. Set up your iPhone as new until you reach the Apps & Data screen. Tap Restore from iCloud Backup on this screen and select the most relevant backup file.
3. Hit the Restore button to get the photos to your iPhone.
You might be interested: Are there many memorable photos in your text messages? If so, you can easily transfer the text message images from an iPhone to a computer.
Below is how to restore photos from iCloud backup to your PC and Mac.
How to get photos from iCloud to your PC:
1. Install and open iCloud for Windows on your computer.
2. Click Options next Photos and set it up according to your demands. Later, tap Done and Apply.
3. Click Download Photos and Videos and wait for the download process to complete. Then you will see photos in the designated folder on your computer.
How to restore photos from iCloud to Mac:
1. On your Mac, click the Photos app > Photos > Preferences > iCloud and sign in with the same Apple ID you used to back up iPhone photos if you haven't done that.
2. Enable the Download Originals to this Mac option and close Preferences. After that, tap Photos in the sub-menu and pick the photos you want to restore.
3. Tap File > Export > Export Unmodified Original > click a folder > tap Export to save the photos to Mac's internal storage.
Note: The method may fail if you previously disable the iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone.
Do you know how to recover photos from iCloud now? If you prefer an easy and fast way to restore photos from iCloud backup, I highly recommend you try iPhone Photo Recovery. Otherwise, you can select Apple's way to get it done, but you may fail if you don't fulfill the preconditions.
Anyway, select one way from above to find back your photos. If you encounter any problems during the process, please let us know in the comments.